Chapter 5

Almost two months of school had gone by, and you and Wirt met every Saturday at the park and talked. So, sure, some kids were talking about the two "friends." But you didn't care. If they wanted to rumor, they could. Besides, there were worse people to be rumored about with.

The day was Saturday. Halloween was coming up in two weeks. You planned to talk to Wirt about possibly having coinciding costumes while you two talked at the park. You two were into a lot of the same books and shows, so finding a pair of characters to dress up as wouldn't be hard; or even if he wanted to do something that wasn't characters, you had two weeks to plan.

Today, it was his turn to come to your house before the park. At about 2:50, you placed yourself in the living room with your music player. You listened to music with one ear and listened for the door with the other. But in the middle of your favorite song, (b/n) came in. You instinctively took out your headphone and looked at him.

"Is Wirt coming over again?" he asked, sitting next to you.

"Yeah, we're going to the park again," you responded.

"Oh, when will you be back?" he asked.

"I don't know, it just depends," you replied.

"Can I come with?"

"Um.. No?" you answered.

"Why? I'll stay out of your hair and-" A knock sounded at the door.

"I said no, (b/n)," you said.

He furrowed his brow and glared at you as you opened the door. He huffed off down the hall, but stopped to yell, "Fine then, I see. He's more important than your own brother."

You shook your head and turned to Wirt who looked at you questioningly. "I'll explain on the way. Now, let's go before he comes back."

While you walked you explained to Wirt about your brother's actions and then his overreaction. By the time you had finished, you two were on your familiar bench.

"I guess we'll be dealing with something similar when Greg reaches that age. Although, I wasn't like that, I don't think."

"I wasn't either, but I didn't know if it was a boy thing," you laughed. "Greg's a happy kid, I'm sure he'll be fine."

"I hope so," he said. "I don't think my parents would cope well to a temper like (b/n)'s," he smiled.

"Not everyone is built for it.. So hey, Halloween is coming up," you began. "I thought, if you were comfortable with it, we could have coinciding costumes?"

Wirt's face brightened. "That sounds like a great idea!"

"Awesome," you said. "I hadn't really thought of many options, but I figured we could come up with something."

You two brainstormed for a long while and finally decided on two characters from one of your favorite cartoons: Dipper and Mabel Pines. (Because I'm still freaking out, so that's why heh heh. Their picture will be up on the Halloween chapter, for those of you who don't know them.)

"I have his hat already if you want to borrow it," you said.

"Sure," he said. "Thanks."

You looked at the sky glumly. "I suppose it's getting kind of dark."

Wirt followed your skyward gaze. "Yeah.. I'll see you Monday, then?"

You turned to him. "Yeah, and we'll talk more about the costume. I'll think about her sweater. You think about his vest."

"Sure thing," he said. You both stood and went your separate ways.