Chapter 7

So much time passed so quickly. You'd finished your costume and ended up lending Wirt your dad's vest. School had become, if even possible, more monotonous than before. Your brother was still in a huff about you seeing Wirt every Saturday rather than spending time with him, which you never did before anyway. Before you knew it, it was the Wednesday before Halloween.

You'd gotten better at ignoring the kids at school, so that was beginning to slide off your plate. You just had to manage homework and then what you do afterwards.

You currently observed your newly finished costume in the mirror. The skirt had been surprisingly hard to manage. Then, your mom decided it was too cold to wear a skirt, so you found some wacky pants instead and had to hope it would pass if the sweater was good enough. Needless to say, you were pretty satisfied with your work. Anyone who had seen the show would recognize the sweater.

You soon tired of watching yourself and fell back onto your bed. You sighed exaggeratedly. Life was boring. Sure, you had friends, but none that were really close and as the year was going on, they were more interested in make-up and clothes than books or music. They were good to be with if you wanted to watch a movie or hang out at the mall, not to talk about the newest book or to pour your emotions out to.

You and your mom were close, but how much could you tell her without being smothered in questions, concerns, and embarrassment? You couldn't very well tell her about the conversations and jokes you had with Wirt, because, even though she knew you were only friends, she always made it awkward.

You sat up, changed from your costume to some normal clothes, and began to wander your home, in search of an activity. Your brother wasn't an option because he was still mad, your mom would want to play the same card game you always played, and your dad had work to do. The best decision you could make was to go on a walk. You cleared it with your parents, grabbed your jacket- per your mom's request - and headed out the door.

You walked a good five minutes without coming across anyone, but eventually you did come across someone. Unfortunately, you knew her. One of the girls who was constantly spreading rumors and gossip. You jammed your hands in your pockets and walked by, but you could hear her whispering with her friends once you'd passed.

Again, you tried to not let it get to you, but you're only human, right? You almost turned and said something, but who needs the conflict?

Halloween was in three days; you'd be with Wirt, you'd have fun, and all would be well. You knew it was a hard time for Wirt because of a big event that occurred the year before, but he didn't talk about it much. Maybe you'd get something out of him, or maybe not. You tried not to bring up the subject; even with Greg it was a sensitive matter.