Chapter 12

Sunday afternoon. Wirt had confirmed the date to be at 5:00 that night. You weren't sure whether to be excited or nervous. You'd hung out with Wirt practically your whole life; this would be no different. Except this time you two weren't friends. You were on a date.

You looked at the clock one more time; it was 3:30, not even close to time. So you decided to do some searching in your closet. You were looking for a nice outfit, something pretty, but not exaggerated, like a fluffy dress with high heels.

You'd never really thought about you wore. It was just, Is it clean? Does it still fit? You put it on. Now, you were actually putting thought into it. You wanted to look nice, but you didn't want to go over board. Since you didn't know what Wirt had planned, whatever you chose had to work for any occasion.

Finally, you chose a blue shirt with tiny dots that looked like stars; you grabbed some jeans and black converse. Your outfit was perfect for any occasion, unless he had planned a date at a swimming pool or something similar. Finding an outfit hadn't been as hard as you'd expected; so you decided to kill time reading a book.

You chose a book you'd read before so you wouldn't mind putting it down at a moment's notice. You kept glancing at the clock, but the time in between became longer and longer until you looked and saw that it was 4:55. Wirt would be there any moment.

You started getting nervous at the thought of Wirt being there any second. You wondered why you were so nervous; you knew Wirt. It was just like any other hang out with him, right? It's not like something different would happen this time. You were so lost in your thoughts that you nearly missed the ringing of the doorbell. Your heart started beating a little too fast as you walked downstairs to open the door.

You opened it to Wirt. You quickly gaged by his outfit what you would be doing. A sweater, normal pants, you couldn't tell what he had planned.

"Hi," you greeted, smiling and looking down a bit. Why looking down? It's not like you were embarrassed to see him; you'd been friends forever. You turned your gaze back up to his face.

"Hey," he replied. "Are you ready to go?"

"Sure," you said. You started wondering about where he would take you. To a restaurant? The park we always go to? The freaking swimming pool I thought about earlier? Wirt smiled at you. You blushed and wondered if you had a funny face while you were thinking about where he would take you.

You let your parents know you were going- Wirt greeted them and stuff; you'd rather not dwell on that. Then you two started off walking. You thought about asking him where you were going, but you decided to let him have his surprise. Even though curiosity beckoned, you began thinking about other things as you walked. That is, until you noticed the horrible silence.

"So," you began. "How uh, have you been?"

You noticed that Wirt was pretty lost in his thoughts, too, because you had to ask the question twice to get an answer.

"Oh, um.. I have been just fine," he replied. "And you?"

"Same, I guess. Life is a bit boring sometimes, but I am glad I spending time with you, Wirt," you asnwered. You noticed that Wirt's face was red, and he looked a bit surprised. Well, you were pretty surprised yourself for what you just said.

"It's nice spending time with you, too, (y/n)," Wirt said after a couple of awkward minutes.

You smiled and looked forward. "I'm looking forward to this afternoon."

"I'm glad," he answered. "I mean, I wasn't sure because, uh- I'm glad."

You kept walking, smiling still. You were lost in thought until Wirt spoke again.

"We're, um, here," he informed you.

Your eyes were wide open when you noticed the beautiful garden in front of you. All kinds of flowers were dancing on the green grass, and a crystal clear pond reflected the sun.

"Wirt, this is amazing!" you exclaimed joyfully. Wirt had a perfectly happy smile on his face.

"I knew you would like it," he said. You walked towards the pond, but Wirt told you to wait. He disappeared in the trees that were surrounding the pond.

You didn't even know where this place was. You'd never seen it or heard of such a place in your town. Wirt emerged again with an even bigger smile than before.

"What are you smiling for?" you asked.

"Come on," he beckoned. You raised an eyebrow, yet followed him anyway, into the trees.

Wirt was acting really confident. You thought that he would be ten times more nervous than you were, but nope. He was acting in an unexpected way. You smiled at the thought, as you followed him into the unknown (a nice unknown not evil unknown). Suddenly, you noticed a wooden table with a colorful tablecloth on it. He had prepared (insert favorite food).

"Wirt!" you exclaimed. "This is magnificent!" You turned to him, marveling at the surprise. He smiled back at you.

"I take it, you like it?" he prompted. You nodded enthusiastically.

You took your seat next to Wirt. The table was placed in a perfect spot to watch the sunset. Wirt and you talked about both of your interests for hours. You laughed at his jokes, and you were really enjoying the evening.

You didn't realize the time that had passed. You only noticed because of the growing darkness. You held back from checking the time; you didn't want to seem anxious to leave. You eventually gave in and looked at your phone.

"My goodness!" you exclaimed without meaning to. "It's already 9:00."

"Really?" Wirt replied, eyes wide. "I didn't realize it was so late."

"Me either," you replied. You stood up and so did Wirt, Suddenly, you noticed that you had been holding hands the whole time, and your cheeks turned red. Wirt acted natural; he led you back to the pond place. You walked with Wirt to your house still holding hands; somehow he made you feel safe.

You two stood on your doorstep. You took out your keys and turned to Wirt to say goodnight.

"We should do this again," you told him.

"Yeah?" He brightened. "I mean, yeah."

"I'll make the plans next time?" you asked.

"Uh, sure," he replied.

"We'll talk," you smiled. You reach over and hugged him. "Goodnight, Wirt."

"Goodnight, (Y/n)," he replied, hugging you back.

You were about to go into your house when Wirt grabbed your arm gently.

"Sorry, I forgot to give you this," he said shyly. He reached something from his pocket; it was a tape that said your name on it.

You smiled and blushed slightly. "Thank you, Wirt. I'll listen to it tonight."

His cheeks reddened as he nodded. "I'll see you at school?"

You nodded and smiled.

Wirt took a deep breath, as if he had been really worried to give you that tape, and he had finally gotten the courage. He looked back at you one more time, and you smiled at him. He smiled back and started walking home. You went inside your house and ran upstairs to listen to the tape; you were excited to listen to what was on it.

You greeted your parents briefly before running to your room. You stuck the tape into the player and awaited its beginning. You heard some bumping around coming from the tape player, as if someone was preparing something.

You listened with amazement to the most beautiful clarinet songs you have ever heard. You didn't noticed that it was Wirt playing until you heard Greg's voice on the background. Wirt said something like "Go away, Greg!" And you laughed a bit about that part. You felt bad for not giving anything to Wirt, so you decided to give him something.

But what to give him? He'd made some comments alluding to his liking poetry. Maybe something about that? You thought a while before someone knocked on your door.

"Come in," you said, pausing the tape.

In came your mom. "Hello, honey."

"Hey, Mom," you greeted.

"How was you night?" she asked.

"It was good," you smiled.

"Everything went okay?" she confirmed.

"Yeah," you said. "Hey, I uh, I'm kind of tired."

"Oh, okay, sweetie," she kissed you goodnight. "Have good dreams. School in the morning."

You groaned as she closed the door. School. At least you'd see Wirt. You got ready for bed and lay down.

You didn't get much sleep, thinking about the occurrences of the evening, and the thoughts of what you could feasibly get Wirt.