Chapter Thirteen

Alana glanced over her shoulder at Lechmere keep disappearing over the hills. She was relieved to leave Lechmere but her relief was short lived for what was she to expect now that 'The Fury' was her new lord?

            She shivered inwardly as she surveyed 'The Fury' beneath lowered lashes. The sun making its slow descent cast golden strays of sunlight upon his tawny head, enhancing those wavy tresses to a lustrous hue.

            What about this Norman had her heart pounding erratically? At the remembrance of their kiss she felt a deep crimson stain her cheeks and quickly drew her eyes away.

            But it was his kiss that had stirred a curiosity to explore the passions he awakened in her.

            Don't be so naïve, Alana. She warned herself, remembering painfully the consequences of trusting her heart. He was the reason her village now lay in destruction.         She cast one last glance at the golden Norman and was startled to see him watching her.

            Her heart fluttered chaotically against her breast as she quickly looked away and focused on the setting sun.

            "Do you think he is as cruel as they say?" Nettie asked from behind.

            Alana had been utterly surprised when they were given a horse to share and knew he had done it in their best interest considering Nettie's fear of Normans, but was quick to notice that the Norman did not trust them so easily. All four Normans surrounded them the moment they mounted the mare. An escape on horseback at the moment proved futile but escape had crossed her mind.        

            "I know naught." She whispered, remembering Nettie's question. "Just stay quiet and I'll think of something."

            She turned her head and was startled to see one of the Norman's staring at Nettie. If not for the circumstances, Alana would have considered the warrior remarkably handsome. He was not quite as large as the other three but physically lean with kempt hair the color of wheat with a perfectly aligned nose and a distinct angular chin.

            His hazel eyes seem drawn to her cousin and she detected warmth in them but she was wary of his attentions for nevertheless, he was Norman.

            They traveled well into the night and Alana found herself drifting asleep in the saddle. A shadow fell in at their side and Alana jolted awake, her eyes connecting sleepily with gold eyes.

            "How much farther?" she asked wearily.

            "There is a glen up ahead, we will rest there for the night and continue in the morning." His gold eyes moved past her shoulder and settled on Nettie.

            "Your friend sleeps. Mayhap you should let Gavin relieve you of her weight."

            Alana straightened in the saddle to glare more firmly at him. "I am fine."

            Those gold eyes narrowed with admiration. "You are very fond of her. She is your sister?" a tawny brow arched.

            "She is my cousin." Her green eyes peered over his shoulder to Gavin, "And it would be wise of you to inform your men to not touch her."

            "My men will not touch her unless I issue the order to do so."

            Alana grew apprehensive as she studied him with sudden wariness. "And do you intend to ravish us, milord?" she was taken aback by the softness of her voice, her fear heightening all the more when he did not hasten to reply.