Disappointed Passion

The queen, for her part, is the unifying force of the community; if she is removed from the hive, the workers very quickly sense her absence. After a few hours, or even less, they show unmistakable signs of queenlessness” (Man and Insects).

Disappointed Passion

From His perspective:

I travelled up the stairway leading to our flat and positioned myself anxiously behind the door, contemplating whether or not it was safe to enter. Louis' line from our song, Last First Kiss, was frantically running through my mind, only making the essential decision even more challenging.

Maybe I just gotta wait,

Maybe this is a mistake.

I'm a fool....”

The palms of my hands were clammy with sweat, leaving imprints that resembled steam as I clenched onto the door frame tightly. My knuckles were white, most likely matching the colour of my pale Irish skin, and I could feel streams of perspiration jetting across my face as I placed my forehead against the cool wood.

I wanted to talk to her, but what if Liam was wrong? What if she pushed me away even more than she'd already done? I couldn't stand that, hell, I couldn't even deal being so distant from her now. Knowing I had no other option, I reached for the door handle, my breath uneven and my hand trembling. Mid-way through turning the chilly, brass object, I detected the low, dull hum of the piano followed by her sweet voice. Unable to intrude while she was playing so beautifully, I slowly released my grasp on the door handle, letting it return back to its normal position. The lyrics in her songs were always so meaningful and significant to what she was dealing with, especially when it came to her inner feelings. Listening to her music had always given me a new perspective and way of viewing what she was feeling. Why would that moment have been any different? I stood there, my eyes closed, focusing on nothing but her blissful melodies and captivating harmonies on the grand piano in our living room.

“Hello...

Anybody out there?

'Cause I don't hear a sound

Alone...

I don't really know where the world is but I miss it now

I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming my name,

like a fool at the top of my lungs.

Sometimes when I close my eyes I pretend I'm alright,

but it's never enough.

'Cause my echo...

is the only voice coming back.

Shadow...

is the only friend that I have...

I don't wanna be down and

I just wanna feel alive and

get to see your face again.

But 'til then.

Just my echo,

My own shadow,

You're my only friend.

I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming my name

like a fool at the top of my lungs.

Sometimes when I close my eyes I pretend I'm alright,

but it's never enough.”

I wiped away the few stray tears that had begun to shower my face and reached out once again for the door handle, slowly turning, and pushing it open. The soft screech of our wooden bench on the floor echoed through the hallway and I hoped that she hadn't heard me enter. I softly closed the door behind me and silently made my way into the living room, my sock covered feet making soft 'thhwish' sounds across the wooden floor. Before allowing her to discover my presence, I sporadically rubbed the back of my hands over my eyes, trying to rid my flushed cheeks of their fresh tear stains. I guess I wasn't as quiet as I'd hoped because when I got to be roughly three feet behind the piano bench, she whipped her head around, my name escaping her lips in a breathy tone.