Chapter 12

This chapter is dedicated to @ReadMusicLoyalty because he's awesome, he left me very sweet comments on my book in my profile, and he inspired the character Jay whom you'll meet in this chapter. Thanks a bunch!

Stephanie's POV

On Monday, I woke up to cloudy skies and a gloomy atmosphere , but somehow that wasn't enough to take me away from the high of the weekend. On Sunday we'd all gone to Noah's house and played all kinds of board games like monopoly and twister, and having the time of our lives. I don't know what this new found friendship with Collin is, but I'm definitely excited to have someone like him in my life.

I get ready for school, and I drive out to Amy's before Carrie and the gloom that's surrounding her these days can come and bring me down. I honk on my wheel to state my presence, and Amy comes out of her house with a sandwich in her mouth, her hair in disarray, her backback barely on one shoulder, and her shirt on backwards.

I look at her in amusement as she gets in the car and sighs with obvious relief.

"Um, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, Ames?" I ask her while trying to contain the big, fat grin that wants to appear on my face. She looks at me with a scowl.

"No, but I hurried to get away from the house because yesterday night a few of my brother's friends came to spend the rest of break with us. Let me tell you, most of those guys are the spawns of Satan. Seriously! The only one I would consider okay is Jay, and that's just because we grew up with him and he's always been sweet. The other four that came are completely evil, I'm telling you, it's NOT NORMAL!" She said as she fixed her shirt and ate her sandwich.

I laugh and make sure to scold her for the crumbs that were falling. Hey, I love Amy, but this is my baby, and no way am I letting it get all dirty for her.

We split up in school and I go into class to see Collin waiting for me on the desk next to mine.

"Hey," he says with a big smile. "So I wanted to ask you if you were staying with Amy today to sing since she and Noah are going to practice for the showcase."

"Yeah, I will. After that, we're actually going to Amy's house so you and Noah should come, it'll be interesting to see Noah meet Amy's brothers." I say with an evil grin at the end. Collin smiles once he catches my drift.

"Oooh, I get it. You're secretly plotting Noah's death through Amy's brothers. Well, I'm all for it, but I got to tell you, burying his body will probably be the hardest part." He says.

I look at him with a mock serious face. "Yeah, that's true. But don't worry, there's a wide backyard at Amy's house with plenty of sapce for a grave."

Collin bursts out laughing and says, "You know what Steph, I think we are going to be the very best, best friends ever."

I smile back, but as I turn to pay attention to the teacher, something hurts in my heart. But I push it away, and I forget anything was wrong.

****

"And then, just as I'm getting ready to beat his high score, the fire alarm rings and we realized the cake we baked was burnt!"

I laugh my head off at Collin's story of why he and Noah never cook anymore. Apparently, dumb and dumber decided to bake a cake thinking it would be easy, but forgot to put a timer. Then, they played video games and forgot about the cake as the game got more heated, until it got burnt and the alarms rang. And they say men are the superior gender.

"You guys are the biggest idiots ever! Who puts a cake in the oven and then forgets about it?" I ask him in between laughs.

"Okay, first of all, we were in a very tough competition. Second, it's not my fault the box didn't tell me to put a timer!" He says indignantly. I laugh harder.