Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

          ~~~~~ Kylie – Meet My New Friend~~~~

     “Don't jump!” Kylie screamed to the guy. She slowly walks to the edge hoping the guy won't do anything drastic. He simply looks at her then turns his back to Kylie once again facing forward.

“Go away.” He tells her swinging his legs while looking down below him.

Kylie walks ever closer wiping her tears away. Every thought of what had happened escaped her mind. When running over to the abandoned warehouse, Kylie never expected to see a man sitting on the edge of the roof deliberating whether to jump or not.

This was her secret place. The warehouse was her home away from home. Apparently she wasn't the only one who knew about this place.

“Nice view.” Commented Kylie sitting down on the edge as well. She had seen it many times, but of course she was not about to let the guy know.

Kylie looked at the guy closer. His blue button down shirt was dirty. His jeans were ripped but not in a fashionable way. His face was emotionless as he looked down below him with a beer in hand. The guy appeared to be a drunken mess.

“You come here often?” Kylie tried to use a little humor but the guy didn't even crack a smile. Kylie shook her head at the guy for she was not about to give up that easily. She would make it her job to convince the guy not to jump.

The guy scoffed and took another drink out of the bottle figuring that his time of painfulness was indeed over. A few seconds went by with pure silence while the guy kept drinking his beer and Kylie thought of different things she could do to save the guy.

Car horns could be heard in the distance. A woman was yelling at her husband to hurry up and get out the bathroom in the nearby apartments. Below them was a couple who were fighting and screaming at each other from the top of their lungs. To the right Kylie observed how a bird had been injured and was desperately trying to extend it's wings and fly away but the injured wing made that impossible.

That was the reason she came to the warehouse in the first place. There was always someone who had it worst. There is always someone hurting more.

“So, do you come here often.” Kylie tried again. This time the guy stopped mid-drink and turned to look at Kylie not fully annoyed but certainly not glad that she was there next to him.

“No, first time actually.” He took one last drink and threw the bottle in the air. Kylie watched as it broke into a million pieces once hitting the pavement while the guy reached to get yet another beer out of the case. Kylie whistled as she brought her body back up.”That is a long way down.”

“Shouldn't you be in school or something?” The guy asked sick of the company already. He grabbed the beer bottle firmly as he positioned it on the edge of the building so he could hit the top of the bottle and get the tap off. Just as he did so, the tap went on the long journey down to the pavement to join the million pieces of the beer bottle it had been next to in the case.