• | Chapter Six | •

When Riley told Jay what happened, she didn't pass up the opportunity to tease Riley the entire lunch period nor through class by throwing her sly glances and coy grins. During class change, Riley turned to her best friend.

"I felt embarrassed telling him that he was attractive." She admitted and Jay smirked. "I don't understand why."

"You might like him."

"He's our teacher. I can't like him."

"Yes, you can. You just can't act on impulse, like you said." Jay kicked a wadded piece of paper aside.

"It's against the law." Riley sighed and Jay mischievously grinned at her. "What?"

"You're acting all sad about it and stuff. You want him, don't you?"

"No! H-he's cute but-"

"He's more than cute," Jay chirped.

"Okay, he's fine-"

"Finer than wine."

Riley rolled her eyes at Jay's sing-song tone. "Whatever. He's attractive, but I don't want him."

"Yes, you do. Quit lying to yourself." Jay side-eyed Riley. "You're flustered, stammering-" She laughed when Riley bumped into a trash can. "Acting all clumsy."

"Go to class." Riley shooed her away and Jay chortled.

"Yes, Mrs. Jackson."

Riley shook her head with a smile as her best friend parted ways.

🌹

While Jay had another academic course for sixth period, Riley had a free period for both sixth and seventh.

Since Freshman year she usually worked in the office as an office runner, doing several tasks that were requested. But this year, she opted for being a student assistant just for a feel of doing something new.

Ms. Bailey, the Arts teacher, no longer needed Riley's assistance and she was sent to help another teacher during her free time.

Organizing the stacks of files in her hands that were sent from the main office, Riley wasn't paying attention as she walked down the corridor and straight into the room.

By the time she looked up, she had bumped into a slim figure and dropped some of the files.

She began to apologize profusely and quickly gather the scattered papers until she heard that familiar chuckle. He stooped down into her view and helped her.

"Riley, it's not that big of a deal." Mr. Jackson softly smiled at her.

"Mr. Jackson?" Riley asked in astonishment.

She wasn't expecting to be his student assistant, but then again he was still quite new to the school and needed all the help he could get.

"Were you not expecting me?" He asked, still smiling at her.

"Uh, I didn't think much of who I would be helping." She shyly smiled back, retreating her eyes back to the papers.

"Guess I could say the same." He shrugged, reaching for the papers as well. "But it's nice that I'll be working with you."

Her heartbeat quickened to that of a stampede inside her chest at his words and her face warmed when their hands made contact for the last paper. Mr. Jackson softly bit his lip and allowed for Riley to take the paper. They both stood and placed the disorganized stack on his desk. Riley looked around to observe the somewhat tiny space.

"I didn't know this was your office. Then again, I haven't really been in here before, so..." She said, noticing some personal photos of himself and others.

"Since Ms. Babcock liked to run you guys off, I'm not surprised." He said, looking at the photos as well. He noticed Riley staring at one in particular. "See something interesting?"

"Is that your wife and kid?" Riley asked, nodding her head at the photo that showed Mr. Jackson standing next to the woman and small child she saw the day before.

"God, no." Mr. Jackson suddenly laughed, "That's one of my sisters and my niece."

"Oh!" Riley felt highly embarrassed and immediately busied herself with reorganizing the files. "Sorry for assuming."

"It's okay, it happens." Mr. Jackson chuckled, turning to open a nearby file cabinet.

He took the first two files that Riley fixed and placed them in their appropriate places.

"So, are you married?" Riley cautiously asked, handing him another file when he turned around.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" He quickly countered, taking the file.

He didn't like to talk much about his personal life to anyone, not even his own family. It left a bitter taste in his mouth whenever he thought about it and the painful memories still lingered within him.

Riley could sense him being a tad bit irritated. His usual kind eyes were expressionless and the corners of his lips were downturned.

"Sorry, I was just trying to make conversation." Riley apologized, turning back to the files.

"You've been doing that a lot." He said, walking closer to her.

"What?" Her body tensed when he was only mere inches away from her and the scent of his spicy yet sweet cologne filled her nostrils.

"Apologizing."

"Oh, sorry." She mentally face-palmed herself and shyly bit her lip as she glanced up at him and shrugged. "I guess it's a habit."

A small smile tugged at his lips. "Y'know, you don't have to apologize for every little thing."

"You do if you were me." Riley sighed, noticing him furrow his eyebrows.

"I'm pretty clumsy." She admitted, blushing again. "I mean you should know that by now, Mr. Jackson."

He softly laughed. "The locker thing is still pretty funny."

She smiled and rolled her eyes at the memory.

"I think it's quite cute." Mr. Jackson brushed against her as he grabbed the last file.

"W-what is?" She stammered, his captivating aroma slowly pulling her into a trance.

"You being naturally accident prone." He lightly chuckles. "It's very cute and funny."

'Did he just call me cute?' Riley thought.

She felt her cheeks grow hot. "Being clumsy is cute? How?"

He smiled and put the last file away, then closed the drawer. "It's only cute if not done on purpose."

"How do you know I'm not doing it on purpose?" Riley asked him as he took out several papers from a folder.

"You look like a deer caught in headlights." He made a shocked expression to imitate her, and she chortled.

"No I don't." She shook her head.

"You're so used to it, you don't even notice." Mr. Jackson chuckled, handing her the papers and a key for the copy room. "Could you go make thirty copies of these each for me, please?"

She nodded and took the papers. "Sure thing."

She turned and almost left the room when she suddenly tripped over a ripped piece of carpet. She glanced over her shoulder to see him smirking in response

"You didn't see that." Riley said, quickly fixing her expression.

His smirk turned into a grin and he shook his head. "I'm going to start calling you Bambi."

Her cheeks flushed and she quickly left the room, last hearing his delightful laugh ring blissfully in her ears.