Chapter 13

The next day at school, you tried to pay attention, but your mind was filled with other things. Your previous evening, what plans you would be making for next time, what you wanted to get for Wirt. You hoped you'd taken enough notes by the time school ended.

A few more days passed before you decided to call Wirt. You'd made your plans- you still didn't know what you'd gift him yet -and you wanted to make it official with Wirt.

"Hey," you greeted over the phone.

"Hi," he greeted back.

"I was wondering if you wanted to get together this Friday," you prompted.

"Uh, sure, let me um, go ask my parents," he replied.

"Sure thing," you told him. You waited a minute or so.

"They said it was fine, but my curfew is 10:30," he informed you upon returning.

"That's fine, mine's about the same," you said.

"Alright," he replied.

"I'll see you at school, then?"

"Yeah," he said.

You said your farewells and hung up.

Things weren't nearly as weird as you thought they would be; the kids weren't saying anything- not that they knew and not that you cared -your parents weren't really in your face, and you and Wirt seemed to be doing just fine in your relationship. They only problem seemed to be (b/n); he didn't like the idea of his big sister going out with his friend's brother. You ignored him for the time being; he didn't govern your life.

You broke out of your thoughts and went to your room. You listened to some music, you read, but, once again, you soon became bored. Your first thought was to go for a walk, but that's what you always did. You'd think of something new today- or at least a new place to walk. Or hey, you could think of what you wanted to get for Wirt.

You had it pretty much figured out. He liked poetry, and you'd been researching poem types recently. You figured you could write some sort of poem for him. You just had to decide what it would be about and what style to write it in. You had an idea to clear your head to make room for ideas.

You grabbed a pen and notepad; you donned a jacket and went to your parents.

"I'm going for a walk. Homework's done, is that okay?" you asked. They nodded and told you to have fun.

You headed out of the house, but took a different route than normal. You noted the clouds rolling in; you shouldn't be gone too long. You made your way down the sidewalk, observing the trees that were beginning to lose their leaves. Hey, that rhymed. You jotted it down.

The autumn trees,
Begin to lose their leaves.

You smiled. Maybe this whole poem thing wouldn't be that hard. You still needed a topic, but minor details. You soon came across a park- not the park you Wirt visited weekly, but one you went to a lot when you were younger. You sat at one of the benches and looked around for inspiration. After a long while of thinking, you had written some pretty decent stuff.

The autumn trees,
Begin to lose their leaves.

Winter takes hold of the young and old,
Ridding itself of stories untold.

The world may begin to sleep,
But as for you and me.

We will stay together,
Side by side through any weather.

Facing anything that appears,
Facing all our fears.

So, sure, it was a little sappy, but you'd only taken like, an hour? with no plan in mind? You thought it was pretty okay.

"(Y/n)?" you heard behind you. You turned and saw Wirt.

"Hello," you replied, closing the notepad.

"What are you doing here?" he came and sat next to you.

"Just thinking," you smiled. "What about you?"

"The same I guess," he replied.

"Want to think together?" you asked. Your poem was good for the moment, and you had the whole next day to work on it, spending some time with Wirt wouldn't throw you off.

"Uh, sure," he responded. "Want to walk and think?"

"Sure thing," you stood, hugging the notepad to your chest; there was no way you were going to risk losing that. Wirt stood as well, and the two of you headed off.

As the wind began picking up, you held your arms closer to your body. Boy, were you glad you'd brought a jacket. You glanced at Wirt; he didn't seem to be uncomfortable in his sweater.

You looked back ahead of you. The two of you walked in comfortable silence until Wirt spoke.

"Some sky," he commented. You looked up; the sky had become gray.

"Think it'll blow over?" you asked.

"Probably," he shrugged. "The weather forecast didn't say there would be rain."

"I guess we'll see," you said nonchalantly.

You two continued down the path of the park until trees became more frequent around you. You were content to keep walking forever until the rain started.

"Didn't blow over," you mumbled, stuffing the notepad under your jacket, not wanting it ruined.

"Yeah," Wirt replied. "I noticed. Come on."

He turned around, and you two headed back. Only, something wasn't right. You didn't notice it until Wirt stopped.

"Were there this many trees before?" he asked.

You looked around. Had there been that many trees? There must have been; there was only one path, right? Wirt tried to shrug it off and kept walking. The rain lightened up as you walked, which you were grateful for. You kept the notepad clutched firmly in your hand, the pen in your pocket.

The two of you walked for what seemed like forever before coming across a building. Wirt stopped in his tracks.

"Oh no," he muttered.