Chapter 5

If you like this story, go like the facebook fanpage for exclusive news, short stories and character descriptions: https://www.facebook.com/StellaAcademy 

        “Oh my Gosh! Jessie! How’s college? Do you have a roommate? Are the other students nice? Are there any cute boys? Oh, never mind, you wouldn’t notice them it they were right in front of you, I know you only have eyes for Freddie. Speaking of, how is he? How are you?” When I call home Katelyn answers the phone. I don’t even have the chance to greet her before she begins talking. Our house phone has caller ID so she knows it’s me before picking up. She keeps on babbling for a few more minutes before I eventually cut her off.

         “Katie, can we talk later? I actually called to talk to Dean.” I hesitantly say. My stepfather has a Bachelor’s degree in religion, so I’m hoping he’ll know something.

We aren’t really a religious family, well; Katelyn says she’s a Buddhist. I don’t know where she got that from, and I’m sure in a year she’ll be a Christian. Dean is a Christian, but he doesn’t really do much for it. He only goes to church for the Christmas service, and I think that’s mostly for the memories of his childhood, not because of his faith.

My mom and I have never been religious, I think all of it is bullshit. I don’t mind if people are religious, I just don’t believe there’s a God watching over me. Not after everything I’ve been through at least.

         “Yeah, sure. We’ll talk later.” I can tell my sister is disappointed from the way she sounds. Her voice slowed down and deepened from how it sounded just seconds ago.

         “Very soon, I promise! I just have to talk to Dean. It’s really important.” I really don’t like brushing Katie off like this, but right now I am more interested in finding out what’s going on with Taurus, than chatting about nothing in particular with her.

         “Sure. Whatever.” She mutters. I guess she covers the phone with something, because when she yells for her father it sounds pretty muffled. A minute or so later Dean gets the phone.

         “Hello there, Jessica. How’s the wild college life treating you so far?” he grins through the phone. I wave my goodbye to Chelsea and as I speak to Dean, I make my way towards Fred’s building.

         “Pretty good. Classes haven’t started yet, so I’m just enjoying all of the pre-school activities.” I shrug. Where did this day go? It feels like it was morning like an hour ago. I look at my watch and realize it’s time for dinner. “I didn’t interrupt your supper, did I?”

I can hear him chuckle, “No. We’re waiting for Anne to come home from work. You know how she is, always working overtime.”

Yeah, I know my mother. She works at the local hospital as a midwife, and, as Dean said, she always works overtime. She loves it though. She says there’s nothing better than to help deliver a new person into the world.

         “Katie said you wanted to speak to me about something important?” he sounds a little surprised. He probably never thought I would call home to speak to him.

         “Yeah, uh . . .” I don’t quite know how to begin. So there’s this weird cult on school. It’s not really the perfect beginning. “I need your knowledge on a certain kind of religion.”

         “Sure, go ahead.” Again surprise colors his tone of voice. He certainly didn’t expect me to ask about that for sure.

         “Is there any religion where a bull plays a part?” I hesitantly say. I know it’s a weird question and I’m sure he thinks it’s very random. I can almost hear him think through the phone.