Chapter 1

I hate Mondays and you know what I hate more than Mondays? The answer is school.

Today is the first day of my last year of high school, and only now I regret not caring enough about school. Being 18 and having my 19th birthday coming soon is not something I'm very proud of.

I didn't exactly have bad grades; I didn't skip a lot and I wasn't much of a bad student. I would just get too distracted during classes, and honestly, at the time I really thought that playing Tic-tac-toe with my best friend was more entertaining than whatever nonsense the teacher was talking about.

Not very smart, I know. Because now I'll be spending more time of my life in school than I should if I had just listened.

Today should be the most important day of my senior life, yet I didn't feel like putting in the effort.

I sighed looking at myself in the mirror for a last check-up on my outfit, I wore black leggings and a baggy t-shirt.

"At least this booty looks good in these leggings," I said to myself in the mirror.

After battling against my laziness and my unwillingness to go to school I grabbed my small black backpack. Maybe too small for any real school supplies but I only carried my wallet and keys in it anyway, and a few snacks — we can't forget the snacks — I made it a habit to leave everything else inside my locker.

And so I ran down the stairs meeting my dad. He was seated on the sofa watching the morning news with a cup of coffee in his hands, he peacefully rested the cup on the table as he heard me coming closer, so calm, didn't even look like he was late to work.

I don't need a DNA test to know he's my dad, and we don't even look alike.

"Good morning, lazy ass, do you want me to give you a ride to school?" He asks as I went to give him a goodbye kiss.

"Morning — Nah, it's fine," I say looking at him amusedly. "Shouldn't you be at work already tho?"

"And shouldn't you be at school?" He argues in the same amused tone.

We were both late.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride?" He insists as I pick my longboard.

"It's fine, I think I can still make it in time."

Traffic in the morning is terrible, and every day I'm grateful that I chose to ride a skateboard rather than a car, I just sway in and out of traffic. But today it seems the universe is not on my side, the traffic is so bad I can't even pass between the cars.

The sidewalk it is. It's harder to skate and I have to cross streets but it's better than being turned into a hamburger.

I live about 10 minutes away from school riding my longboard and I have about 15 minutes to get to school, get my schedule and get to the classroom. Pretty sure I can't make it but let's pray to our Lord.

G-d? Remember when I said you sucked that day I broke my leg back in middle school? Well, I'm still salty you let that happen but we can put our differences aside for now and...

I was too distracted talking to the One above when I almost got hit by a car and to save my dear life I decided it was a good idea to just throw myself off the longboard and ended up landing my butt on the hard concrete.

Well, at least now I can tell everyone I got run over by a car and survived. Maybe I can even get away with P.E if I walk in limping.

The person quickly got out of the car to see if everything was alright, not on me though but on the car, the black-haired woman went to the front checking where my longboard hit, she ran her hand through it feeling a small dent.