Chapter 16

-

We all ran through the woods, Daryl telling us about a barn.

We swung open the doors, finding only two walkers.

Thankfully, Rick came back about an hour ago.

-

"Eat these." Carol ordered, holding a few almonds in her hand.

I took them and handed them to Carl, a stern look crossing her face.

"You're eating for two." She whispered.

"I might not be." I replied.

"Please, Sam. Nutrition is very important." She replied.

I stood up, pulling her away from everyone.

"I miscarried the first time, the doctor told me my body just wasn't able to have a child. I want a child, but I don't want one in this world. Yes, I'll take care of myself once I find out if I'm pregnant or not." I whispered.

-

"Everyone, this is Aaron. We met him outside." Maggie announced.

"He's by himself, we took his weapons and his gear." Sasha added.

"He has a camp nearby, and he wants us to audition for membership." Maggie continued.

"Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe, that's on Friday nights." Aaron stated.

I looked at Rick, noticing he was going to do something irrational in a few minutes.

"Uh, it's not a camp. It's a community." Aaron added.

"I think you all would make valuable additions, but it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home." He continued.

He looked around at all of us, before continuing to ramble.

"If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into," He stated. "Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack? Front pocket, there's an envelope."

Sasha handed Rick the packet, and he looked through pictures.

"There's no way I could convince you to come with me unless I brought those. I apologize in advance for the picture quality." He replied.

"That's the first picture I wanted to show you because nothing I say about our community will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be." He added.

I took a glance at the pictures before looking back at him.

"Each panel in that wall is a 15-foot-high, 12-foot-wide slab of solid steel framed by cold-rolled steel beams and square tubing." He informed us, before continuing to talk about his camera again.

"Nothing dead or alive gets through that without our say-so." He added.

Aaron kept talking, and that's when Rick punched him so hard he knocked him out.

"Dump his pack. Let's see what this guy really is," Rick ordered.

"Everybody else, we need eyes in every direction. They're coming for us." Rick ordered.

"Me and Sasha, we didn't see him. He could've hurt us." Maggie explained.

-

"How long have you been following us?" I asked Aaron.

"Long enough to see that you practically ignore a pack of roamers on your trail. Long enough to see that despite a lack of food and water, you never turned on each other. You're survivors and you're people. Like I said, and I hope you won't punch me for saying it again, that is the most important resource in the world." He answered.