[41]: reaching

Daryl didn't want to take my chair when we were sitting around the campfire that morning, but I made him take it because I knew how hard it was to get up from the ground when your side was in pain. Initially refusing, it only took me a threat that I would beat his ass if he didn't to get him to sit down.

He looked slightly amused at my comment and I honestly wasn't surprised. Our interaction was followed by a few snickers from the group before everyone settled down.

Carol came over with the pan of eggs and gave Daryl and I some more, having to bend down further to me since I was sat on the ground by his legs.

It was quiet, and the only sound was the scraping of forks and the crackling fire. Every so often I would look around at everyone, secretly assessing them.

Despite it being seemingly peaceful, everyone knew that everyone else were on the edge of their seats.

It all came from the unknowingness, and knowingness, whichever people wanted to choose to feel.

If people chose unknowingness, it would be like a tick or an itch on the back of your neck. Whilst also weighing heavily on your chest.

Knowingness was a lot more peaceful but it wasn't advised and I didn't choose it.

I wasn't going to think for a second that Sophia was dead, or that she was never coming back.

She had to be somewhere.

I felt so selfish because all this time I was worrying about what people thought of me, or what I could prove when there was a twelve-year-old girl lost in the woods that some of us were risking their lives for.

Glenn stood up, looking nervous as hell. An emotion he had on his face these past two days. His handled wrung themselves together, and everyone looked at him expectantly before he spoke.

"Guys," he breathed in. "There's walkers in the barn."

I felt heart stop for a moment, and I'm sure everyone else was experiencing that too. Anyone who wasn't paying attention was now, as everyone stared darkly at Glenn's face.

I was the first to say anything as I stood from my seat on the ground, abandoning my plate of food.

"What..." my wide eyes scanned his as he looked at me worriedly. All eyes were on me. "The hell?"

He tried to form words but if he did I didn't hear them because I was already making my way towards aforementioned, barn. Shouts and yells and panicked discussion took place behind me.

The only one that caught up with me was Shane but he didn't say a word as we both power-walked towards the barn that was surprisingly far away.

+

Peering through the tiny gap between the two doors holding back a mountainous measure of walkers, I jumped back when one of them snapped at me. I held my hand to my heart from the sight of the veiny eyes looking into mine. It breathed in my face, almost making me want to bend over and wretch.

Warm fingers brushed against my lower arm to pull me back further and I didn't look around to see who it was.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this," Shane said lowly to Rick, glancing at me momentarily.

"No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land," Rick replied sternly.

"This is our lives!" Shane shouted, his whole stance was upright like a toy soldier.

"Lower your voice," Glenn hushed, reminding us all that whilst we were discussing this we were discussing it outside a barn full of walkers that constantly growled.