The Girl with the Mask

*I know I said this chapter was going to be a big one, buuuut I had to split it into two because it would have been ridiculously long. DO NOT FRET! I am doing an early update by Monday!*

"No, I've told you already that I paid that bill last month."

The nasally voice on the other line continues to ramble on about insurance and interest rates and if I wasn't so distracted I would probably be paying attention the mumbo jumbo.

But, Layla is wearing an emerald dress that is loose enough to have the imagination running wild, but short enough to give it inspiration. The sleeves of her dress are long, but start just below her shoulders, allowing the sun filtering in from the windows to kiss her freckled skin and make her hair look as if it had caught fire.

It is all very distracting and very unfair.

"You are passed due on your payment plan. The interest is increasing and her debt is growing. We will have to contact your mother if it isn't paid off soon."

I turn away from Layla's prying eyes and ears, sipping my coffee and trying to keep my voice down in this quiet café, "No, you can't tell her. She is trying to rest and recover from chemo and I am the one handling the bills anyway. They will be paid within the month and-"

"I'm sorry, sir, but we need this months and the previous month's payment by next week or we will have to put your mother's treatment on hold."

My gut twists and my face pales at just how in the world I am to raise that kind of money, "There won't be any need for that. It will get paid."

I hang up before the collector can say any more and try to calm myself by taking steady breaths. My mum is depending on me and I can't let her down.

The money from the antique shop, my wage at the mechanics shop, and the few paintings I manage to sell from the gallery might cover one month's pay, but two?

I won't be able to pay my rent with two months' worth of hospital bills due.

"Everything alright?"

It's pathetic really, how just the sound of her voice lifts my spirits almost instantly.

It's been almost two weeks since our fight about Jaime and yet, we have barely spoken. Not from anger, but in disappointment. I have nursed my wounds in private, but I know that was selfish.

I vowed I would wait for her to heal and I will. To push her away is the opposite of what I should have done.

But, it's just painful.

Painful that she is always so close, and yet, so very, very far away.

I am the ocean and she is the moon: pulling me in and pushing me away.

"Yeah, just peachy." I don't mean for it to come out sounding as harsh as it does, but by the way Layla's face drops, I can tell I hurt her.

She has been trying. Ever since I left her apartment with a bruised heart she has been trying to soothe it. To reach out and speak to me, to cheer me up. But, like a wounded puppy, I keep ignoring her with my tail between my legs.

Not knowing what to say, I stay silent and finish my coffee, trying to ignore the fiery gaze of my best friend's girlfriend, but finding it difficult when she is sitting right next to me.

It isn't until Layla is about to step into the back room that Eliza slams her hand onto the table, gasping.

"Sorry," She apologizes half-heartedly when Layla jumps at the sudden noise before bringing her palm to her forehead, "I just remembered that I forgot to buy apples for the Clarinson event!"