Chapter 3

Ramlah

It was a Thursday my only day off. I loved it. I would wake up late and laze around. Most of all I would try to spend as much time as possible with my sisters. It was nearing noon when I woke up and started cleaning up. That's another thing I liked. I know people thought it was weird but I liked cleaning up the home during my day off. My sisters were hopeless when it came to cleaning, no Ayesha did help and tried to keep the house clean but the other two were utterly hopeless.

I had just finished cleaning up when the front door opened and rushed in Reema and Ayesha. Aasiya tagging behind them. As soon as they saw me Reema and Ayesha's faces brightened as they suddenly realized it was Thursday and I was at home. "Assalam u Alaikum," I beamed at them.

"Walaikum salam" all three sisters greeted.

"How was school?" I asked.

Reema was excited to tell her story, "It was great. Api. Lisa and I were acting out Frozen characters at lunch break. It was so much fun" she giggled. "Really, that's great. I want to see your acting as well. Show me later ok?." I hugged her as she nodded. She suddenly pulled away from me, her eyes widening as she recalled " and you know... you know.." she grabbed my sleeve for emphasis, "Lacy got into detention."

I gave her the astonished look "Why?"

"She was talking non-stop in class. And then she even brought her mobile phone to school. We are not allowed that!"

"Hmm... not good at all Reema. You better stay away from her."

"Don't worry api. I am not friends with her, she is so mean." She made a face. I chuckled and lightly pushed her toward the bathroom "go change."

I whirled around to see Ayesha who was putting away her bag in our room. When she realized I was near her she spoke "You know api, we have to come up with a new recipe from our country. I want you to give me one of those curry recipes you make"

"Sure"

"But something simple as I will have to make it in class as well."

"Yeah, no worries. I will give you something easy to make" I responded distractedly as I observed Aasiya who was sitting on her bed with a glum face. I sat beside her. "What's the matter Aasiya?" she looked up and had a faraway look. "Nothing api," She hesitated when I raised an eyebrow in as a silent inquiring manner she then said, "Just...just...just stressed about school work."

Her stammer worried me. She only stammered when she was stressed. It was her childhood habit that went away as she grew older. However, she still did stammer occasionally, especially when she was stressed. I placed my hands on her shoulders and made her turn around facing towards me. "Are you sure?" as I keenly observed her facial expression.

"Aahhh... where do I begin api." She paused, took a deep breath. "It's just that this hijab," pointing at her hijab. "I don't know I have been thinking not to wear it until I am a little older."

Suddenly perplexed, I softly asked, "Why is that Aasiya?" She was 17 years old, three years younger than me. It's not like she was a little girl but a young woman.

"It's just that I feel so left out among my friends. Many are Irish or other nationalities and they don't wear it. In fact, we have two Muslim girls you know Sabah and Henna both of them don't wear. I am the only girl in class. And I ...I ...I... feel left out," her shoulders sagged and she avoided meeting my eye.

I realized then that she was ashamed of confessing this to me as she knew how strong Mama had been about us wearing hijab. In fact, even Reema wore it to school. We started wearing it at a very young age. It had become part of our dress code. I couldn't imagine myself without my hijab. I even wore the abaya, although none of my sisters wore it.