8

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 8: Poisoned Teeth

{D. K}

Dakota sat calmly on the leather seats that smelled pleasantly of alcohol and cologne, her black heel covered feet shaking gently as Elijah talked to Elena about how Klaus would kill her. "How do we break the curse?" Stefan eagerly asked, his lovesick mind set of saving Elena's life no matter the cost.

"The ritual itself is pretty straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know.

"Moonstone."

Elijah walked to the leather seat that held Dakota, moving her hand and sat on the arm of the chair. "A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that bound the stone. After that, Klaus being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"Where do I fit in?"

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah speaks, standing up from the chairs arm to walk over to the table and reveal a very old box with intricate carvings all around the top and sides. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger, to the point of your death."

A flood of sharp glares, Elijah excluded, were sent Dakota's way as her chuckle flowed through the otherwise quiet living room in the Salvatore Boardinghouse.

"And that's where you come in." Elena tries to ease her own nerves, giving up hope that Dakota will ever stop being childish and take this situation maturely. After all, the vampire never did try to hide that she hated Elena.

"Since Damon's blood is officially out of your system, I have the elixir we spoke about." Elijah opened the box and pulled out a glass jar with a suspicious looking grey liquid inside of it. "You'll drink it, and after Klaus kills you, it'll activate and revive you. It'll take a little bit of time, but other than that, problem solved."

    Bright blue eyes bored into Elena's brown ones. "I still think putting our faith into some five hundred year old elixir is ridiculous."

"Well it's not your choice Damon. You've already tried sabotaging the plan once already." Putting her dirty converse covered foot down, Elena sternly told the vampire, "Now we do this my way."

"Your way seems to always end in death, or vampirism." Picking a hangnail off of her finger, Dakota finished. "Just saying."

Surprisingly, Damon agreed. "No, she's right. Everything you've tried doing on your own has screwed something up. You're only seventeen, what the hell do you know? We're coming up with ideas that'll actually work and keep you alive."

"How? By shoving blood down my throat so that I can become one of you guys?" Elena snapped. "I don't want that, having to constantly struggle with the bloodlust and watching my family die before my eyes. Maybe you all can do it just fine, but I can't."

"I like any idea as long as she stays human," Dakota voices, her mischievous eyes landing on Elena. "The last thing I need to see is her with amplified feelings, she already cries enough."

"At least I have emotions."

"Oh sweetie, I have emotions. Just not the one's you like to see."

Dakota walked outside to see Damon leaning over the porch, anger etched on his sharp features. Passing him a glass and opening a fresh bottle of bourbon that she poured generously into his cup. "Thought you'd like some of the good stuff." She joked as she filled her own glass.

"I'm surrounded by idiots, so the good stuff is what I need." He answered then drank the entire shot—and then some—with ease.

"Maybe you should let her go."

Damon snapped at her like she's just suggested they never drink blood ever again. "This is Elena, Kota. Even if I wanted to let her go, I couldn't."

"She's got her dirty little claws in you so deep." The female vampire sympathetically ran her fingers through his soft, jet black hair. "I wonder when she's going to take them out."

"I don't want her to."

       "You will."

       Hours passed, and everyone was doing what they could to ignore the fact that by the end of the night, Elena would be dead. Damon dragged Dakota along with him on his final suicide mission to save the doppelgänger. "If we can get Klaus' vampire and werewolf, he'll need to postpone the ritual."

       "Do you even know who he's sacrificing."

       "Actually, I do."

       Following Damon's lead, they wound up under the old Lockwood cellar. "Are we letting him go too?" Dakota stalked close to Tyler, but kept just enough distance so that she could get bit if he decided to snap his jaws.

       "Yes." Caroline instructs, overriding Damon's.

        Releasing him quickly, they run outside, collecting Matt and attempting to make it to safety as quickly as possible. "It's starting." Tyler groans. He fell to the ground, his nails scrapping at the dirt as his body spasmed intensely. "You need to leave."

        Dakota and Damon both shared a look. "I'll take Caroline and Matt, you make sure he doesn't kill anyone." 

        "What if I die?"

        Dakota patted his shoulder. "I'll tell everyone you died in the most heroic way possible."

        Quickly, she ushered the two out of the clearing, having to watch her pace because Matt was human. "Are we seriously going to leave him there with Tyler? What if he kills him?"

Sending a fleeting glance as we jumped in the car. "Depends on who you're referring to. They both could die, but I'm praying death isn't in their cards tonight."

"You don't even know Tyler."

"I don't have to. He's a teenage boy who didn't choose to have this curse bestowed upon him. I'm a bitch, not heartless."

"Your heart doesn't even beat." Matt continued, his gun still clutched tightly in his tan hands.

"And yours won't either if you don't shut up."

We left the woods and wasted no time taking them home. "Just drop me off at Caroline's." Silently asking Caroline with her eyes if that was okay, she nodded and Dakota drove them to her house.

"How do you know where I live?" Barbie asks, her feline face full of concern.

She simply unlocked the door so they could get out. "I've been alive for a longtime, your house has been passed down from generation to generation. Honestly, I'm surprised it's still standing."

"How old are you?" Matt questions, holding the gun loosely at his side.

    Dakota pointed to the hunting rifle. "Old enough to tell you to put that away before someone sees you."

"I'll keep that in mind." He sends Dakota a wave before leaving.

"I hate this town," She mumbles, pushing hair from out of her face.