Chapter 14

"Kara I know you're in here. I'm sorry okay!" Ryder calls from the other side of the door.

I ignore his apology, I'm done, I need to get out of here. "Is Carter done eating dinner?" I ask through the door.

"Yeah, why?" He asks.

I quickly stand up and open the door, holding my hand out, "I want your car keys, now" I demand, my eyes showing no room for discussion.

"Okay..." he replies, then quickly goes into his pocket and grabs his keys, dropping in in my open hand before enclosing it in my fist.

I brush past him out of the bathroom and jog downstairs to see Carter playing with Karly, "Time to go, Carter. Tell everyone goodnight"

I walk over to the living room where I left my purse earlier today. I grab it and sling it over my shoulder before I am turned around to face an angry Ryder.

"Where are you going?" He demands, his voice low.

"Home," I say, attempting to brush past him again, but this time he doesn't let me. He sidesteps me to block me from going around him,

"You aren't going back there, not with Carter." He replies. I know I can't go back there, but what Ryder doesn't know won't hurt him.

"Well I don't want to be around you so," I say, finding a way past him to the front door where Carter is already putting his shoes on.

I grab Carter's hand and lead in outside, putting him in the car and closing the door. I also quickly try to get in the driver's seat, but Ryder's arm prevents the door from opening.

"You. Aren't. Going." He growls.

"Yes I am" I growl back. He may be an alpha, but he's not my alpha. Not anymore.

"I don't understand what your problem is! You didn't have a problem 5 minutes ago when we were making out!" He yells, placing his hands on the car, trapping me between him and the car, "I know you still want me Kara, there's no way you can kiss me like that and not have feelings for me." He says smirking.

"Well there's no way I could possibly have feelings for you if I have a boyfriend back home!" I lie, hoping that he gives me the reaction I'm looking for.

Ryder immediately drops his hands and steps back, almost as if I've burned him. Bingo. I use this moment to quickly get in the driver's seat and lock the door before he has a chance to recognize what just happened.

By the time he gets out of his phase, I've already started the car and put it in reverse.

"Kara, stop this car right now!" He yells at me, banging his fist on the window of the car.

I completely ignore him, pulling out of the driveway and speed down the road. I look in the rear-view mirror to see Ryder still standing outside the pack house.

I thank god that he didn't shift and follow us, I just need some alone time without him. I look back at Carter, who looks a little shaken from the events that just unfolded.

"You okay baby?" I ask him, looking at him through the rear-view mirror.

"Why did you leave daddy, momma?" He asks, "I don't want to leave daddy! We need to turn around and get him!" He tells me.

"Sorry Carter, Daddy is on a time-out right now. He is going to stay with Aunty Marley and Karly for the night and maybe you can see him tomorrow." I reply, stopping at a stoplight to look back at him.

"No, I want Daddy NOW!" He screams and starts crying in his car seat. A full-blown tantrum begins to unfold. The crying turns into screaming, Carter starts kicking the chair in front of him. I just let him go on with his tantrum, get it all out of his system. The tantrum lasts about 10 minutes before it starts to subside. Soon all that remains is hiccups.

"Are you better now Carter?" I ask, pulling into the driveway of the Alpha house. I knew it wasn't safe to go back to my house like I originally told Ryder, but I needed to get away. I figured if I took Ryder's keys he wouldn't be able to get into his own house. And besides, if I told him I was going home, there is no way he was going to check his house of all places.

"No, I still want Daddy." He says quietly, crossing his arms over his chest as I put on the parking brake and turn off the car.

I don't reply to his request as I step out of the car and open is door, "C'mon Carter, let's go inside. I think it's time for bed." I say, picking him up and carrying him to the front door. I open the door and put him down, before closing the door behind me and locking it.

This house is different from our house in the human town. That house I felt completely safe in, I didn't worry about being all alone in a house with a 6-year old. Ryder's house feels foreign.

I drop the keys on the counter, along with my cell phone and purse. I can already see that my phone is blowing up. 15 missed calls from Ryder and 10 Messages from Ryder. Geez, I've only been gone for 15 minutes.

I walk Carter up the stairs to the room where our clothes are. I quickly grab a pair of pajamas for Carter to wear before leading him to the bathroom. The room is silent as I give him a shower. Usually, he's laughing, having fun, but not tonight.

After the shower and after he brushed his teeth, I tuck him into bed and then sit on the edge.

"I'm sorry Momma made you mad and left Daddy," I tell him as I put the blanket over his body.

"I'm sorry I screamed and kicked the chair in the car" He replies, climbing out of the perfect cocoon I made for him and hugs me around my neck.

"It's okay baby. Now go get some rest. You can play with Daddy tomorrow." I say before I put him back in his cocoon and lean forward to kiss his forehead.

"Goodnight Momma. I love you." He says with a yawn, closing his eyes.

"Goodnight Carter, I love you too." I reply as I walk over to bring my duffel bag before closing the door behind me. I know that there is another room I can sleep in besides Ryder's room and the room that Carter is in.

I find an empty bedroom with an ensuite bathroom attached to it. I drop my bag on the ground before grabbing my own clothes and some soap before heading to the bathroom to take a shower.

I literally stand in the shower for 30 minutes, just contemplating what just unfolded in the last hour. I kissed Ryder. Hell, I did way more than just kiss him, I practically let him eat my face off. I cannot believe that I let him do that.

I shake my head. I cannot go back to him. Going back to him means giving him my heart again and letting him break it again. But this time I can't fall apart. I have a son to take care of.

With a sigh, I turn of the water and finish my bedtime routine. I go downstairs to grab my phone before hopping into bed to do some scrolling before bed. I unlock my phone only to see that the missed calls and messages have more than doubled, along with the new addition of voicemails. I hold my phone to my ear to listen to a few of them:

*beep* I swear to god Kara if I find you at your house.... *beep*

*beep* Kara I'm not playing with you anymore where are you and where is my son! *beep*

*beep* Kara I'm sorry okay! Just tell me where you are. *beep*

*beep* Kara please just call me back. You don't have to tell me where you are, but please let me know that you and Carter are okay *beep*

I sigh, removing the phone from my ear. After hearing those messages, I am in no mood to continue scrolling. But before I put my phone down, a reminder pops up on my phone:

Heat Tomorrow!

Well, Fuck me.