Chapter 11

The car ride back to my flat wasn't as pleasant as it was yesterday, when I was on my way to Elizabeth's house. Maybe it was because Harry was sitting behind the steering wheel and the only thing that was breaking the silence was the radio. I just kept looking out the window, not really sure what to do. I guess the whole situation became a little bit more uncomfortable for me since we were riding in his black Range Rover. The picture of Harry's girlfriend climbing out of it and putting her hair, and clothes, back on it's place just wouldn't leave my mind.

Elizabeth had to do some work at home, so Harry was the one that drove me back to my flat. I didn't mind that, but the more time I spent with him, the more I realized that he wasn't what I thought he would be. He was quiet all the time and hardly looked at me. He was nice when he came into my room this morning and introduced himself, but I know now that someone had told him to do it. He would never talk to me just because he wanted to.

I was the one that had to talk first.

“Take the turn to the right,” I said and explained the way to the residential area where I lived. Without a word, he turned the car and entered the area. I grabbed my bag and looked at him one last time.

“Thanks. It was nice of you to take me home.” He didn't say anything. As usual. What kind of human is he? I've never met a more unsocial person in my entire life. I thought that I was a quiet person, but I'm nothing compared to him. He was so.....so....boring.

I opened the car door and was on my way out when I felt his hand grab my wrist. The movement caught me by surprise, and made me very uncomfortable. No one has grabbed my wrist since that night. Since THAT happened. Pictures of that night, and the man, popped up in my head again and I swiftly pulled my arm out of Harry's grip.

“Wait,” he said. Oh, he could talk! I'd started to believe that he couldn't open his mouth at all. I didn't say anything, just looked at him. He looked kind of beautiful, the sun lighting up his wonderful, green eyes. The cute beanie on top of his curls and his grey T-shirt.

He's got a girlfriend. Girlfriend. Girlfriend!

If I repeat that thought, then maybe I wouldn't be so affected by him. I know I can't judge people by their looks, but I can't deny the fact that Harry was pretty darn beautiful.

“It was nice meeting you Amber. Hope you'll visit us again,” he said. I could feel my mouth drop slightly. Now, that's what I call mixed signals. I guess I take that whole ”He would never talk to me just because he wanted to” part back. I don't think anyone forced him to say that to me, maybe he actually felt that way. I didn't have to fake the smile I gave him.

“I'm glad you think so. It was nice meeting you too, Harry.”

When I entered my flat, I became surprised by how small it was. I guess it felt that way because I just got back from a palace. I kicked off my shoes and walked into my living room/bedroom. I took a seat in the sofa and turned on the TV. To my delight, one of my favorite movies came on – Along came Polly. It was always fun watching it, so I popped some pop corn and curled up in the sofa and just enjoyed the moment when I felt completely relaxed.

“Oh, listen to the birds! Aren't they just wonderful Amber?”

“Yes, grandma. They sure are,” I said while I pulled the wheelchair across the small park the next day. I decided it would be good for me to see grandma today. After all, I did feel safe with her. It's been a while since she left the rest-home, so I thought that it would do her good to get some fresh air into her lungs.

“I can't remember being here before, it's so beautiful! How nice of you to join me today,” grandma said as she looked around and analyzed the environment. I thought that maybe I should tell her that she was here last week, but maybe I shouldn't. That would only make her sad and upset because she doesn't remember anything. I just played along and agreed on her statements.

We sat down next to the water, I sat on the bench next to grandma's wheelchair (which she insisted on having since she didn't want to walk today). I inhaled the fresh air and let the cool wind blow in my face. I was on my guard though, if anything would happen. It felt like THE MAN could be anywhere. But I kept telling myself that he wouldn't hurt me when I wasn't alone.

“Amber, what is your father doing nowadays?” grandma asked pulling me back to reality. I wasn't really prepared for that, because I actually thought that she would remember where her own son lived.

“He lives in Miami grandma. Remember?” I asked and gently placed my hand on top of hers.

“Right..” she said after a while, but I knew that she didn't remember that story. We sat there for another moment, just looking at the water that seemed to sparkle in the sunlight. It was a beautiful day, for sure, and I felt happy to spend it with grandma.

“Come on, let's get you some ice cream,” I said and started to pull he wheelchair again.

“Here you go,” I said and handed grandma a chocolate ice cream, while I took a vanilla flavored one. It tasted great in the hot weather.

“How's you mother?” grandma asked. Why does she keep asking me thesequestions about my family? How much has she forgotten? I tried my best to play along,even though I wanted to grab her shoulders and really make her understand that she already knows this. Deep inside. I explained the situation about my mother's affair and my stepbrother. How much I hated him.

“Show him that you're a better person than him then. Don't sink so low that you end up on his level, because you're not like that. Stay true to the ones that love you Amber. Stay true to me,” grandma said and looked at me with her blue eyes. The eyes I've been looking into almost everyday during my entire life. The eyes I've always loved.

“I will grandma. I love you,” I said and leaned on her shoulder.

“I love you too, Amber.” As I rested my head on her shoulder, I couldn't help it, but I closed my eyes. Feeling the love from her. I pretended that she wasn't ill. That she was the grandmother I used to have. Because she's still here, deep inside that body. Suddenly I felt something cold on the tip of my nose. I opened my eyes and saw that grandma was laughing, holding her ice cram close to my face. She had putted it on my nose, and now the cold feeling was spread across my nostrils. I laughed along with her as I wiped away the ice cream from my nose with the tissue grandma gave to me.

In that moment, she felt like my real grandma again. That's something she would do. I laughed and hugged her tightly, even though I knew that my real grandmother would never come back. She was just the same body with a different mind. I still loved her, don't think anything else. But I just couldn't help but missing the Violet that I grew up with...

Please Vote and Comment ;)