Ch. 14: Here's To The Past

~We've all been down this path before, you're trapped in this town, and it wears you down~

Kiyomi's POV

I gritted my teeth at Kakashi's question. I don't know what happened after I fell unconscious, but if Kakashi was questioning me, then Zabuza must have said something before he died.

"Now, Kiyomi," my sensei said impatiently.

I looked around to try and find an excuse to not talk, but only saw my teammates looking at me curiously. Well, Naruto and Sakura were curious. Sasuke was suspicious. Of course.

Stupid Uchiha...

'Kiyomi... You don't have to tell them anything if you don't want to,' Fenrir said. 'But... They're your teammates. They deserve to know some of it.'

I sighed. 'Alright.' "Kakashi-sensei, what do you want to know?" I asked, returning my attention to the prone man beside me.

"First off, did you know you were being hunted by bounty hunters?" So that was the first question. Guess that was to be expected.

I sighed again, but nodded. "I did."

"And you didn't tell me?!" Kakashi almost roared.

I flinched at the noise, turning my head away. "... No."

Now it was Kakashi's turn to sigh. "Why didn't you tell me? Does the Hokage know?"

"..."

"... I'll take that as another 'no'," Kakashi groaned. "Kiyomi... You know that if you don't tell him these kind of things, people will get the wrong impression, and think you're an enemy."

"How do you know I'm not...?" I whispered. Silence fell across the room as all four of the other people looked at me.

Surprisingly, Naruto was the one to break it. "I don't think you're the enemy, Kiya-chan!" he smiled. "You've never done anything mean or harmful to the village or it's inhabitants from what I've seen. You always seemed so... lonely, in the Academy. There's no way you're an enemy!"

I stared at Naruto in surprise and disbelief. Out of everyone, he would stand up for me?

Then Sakura spoke up. "I... Think Naruto's right (for once). If you had any malicious intentions, you would have done something earlier. I haven't really spoken to you before being assigned to this team, but you were always so quiet in the Academy. Not in a bad way!" she said hastily. "But just... it was like you never wanted to be noticed. If you were the enemy, you would have gotten close to all of us, and been, I don't know, outgoing?"

I chuckled a little, still shocked. Who would've known these two would stand up for me?

That's when both Sakura and Naruto turned to look at Sasuke, almost accusingly. I may not have that much social experience, but I think they were trying to hint at something.

The Uchiha sighed, giving in. "Fine. I think Kiyomi is suspicious, because I know she's always leaving something out whenever she says something. But," he held up a hand, stopping Naruto's outcry. "I don't think she's an enemy. Simply suspicious."

"Oh, thanks for the support Uchiha..." I muttered. But I still sent the three of them a small smile, silently thanking them for their words.

Kakashi was watching this exchange with a small smile on his face, which was conveniently hidden by his mask. I sent a confused glance towards him, and he only grinned back.

Which made me kind of confused. Was he actually suspicious of me, or was this one of his weird teamwork exercises?

"Well, as much as I hate to break up this little bonding moment, I have to," Kakashi said, rolling onto his back. "Kiyomi has something to tell you guys."