Chapter 15

Whatever those words meant, they seemed to do the trick because it was only seconds later that Grace hugged Lyla back; no signs of aggression or suspicion visible anymore. In fact, she seemed almost comforted, like a big worry had been lifted from her shoulders.

"You're doing the right thing," Lyla insisted, her tone sounding grateful.

"God, I hope so," Grace replied, pulling back to give her a meaningful look. "I'm giving you my trust. Please, don't let me be wrong in doing so."

What are they talking about? I wondered as I continued to study the two; trying to make sense of the scene.

Things were only getting stranger by the second. And while a part of me felt like I should say something, the rest of me considered that the two might've been discussing a previous feud that had nothing to do with me. After all, what did I really know about their friendship? All in all, I felt like it wasn't my place to meddle in their personal matters.

"So," I said awkwardly when Grace turned to face me again. "Does this mean you're not going to take me back to my cell?"

She nodded. "I'm going to leave you with A–" she cut herself off abruptly, giving a cough that sounded almost forced, before continuing. "Umm, her, I'm going to leave you with her."

"Okay," I said curiously, not failing to notice the slightest hitch in her voice. She hadn't told a lie, but she'd definitely made an effort to hide something from me. "Grace, is there something you should be telling me?" I found myself asking on gut instinct.

"No," she replied hastily, her dishonesty ringing in my ears.

"No?"

I was surprised by how much it stung. Though I'd only known Grace for a short amount of time, she'd grown on me surprisingly fast. What need had there been for this attempt at deception? My disillusionment must've been apparent, because she quickly backtracked.

"Actually, yes," she said, looking down at her fingers with what I could only describe as shame. "But I can't–" Before she could say more, a voice interrupted her.

"Grace, you down there?" Marko shouted, his footsteps growing louder as he approached. "Finn told me what happened."

"Did he?" Grace called back, pausing to hold a finger to her lips as she gestured for Lyla and I to leave quietly. "So what are you doing here then?"

Stubbornly, I crossed my arms and shook my head; I didn't want to go, not until I knew what she was hiding from me. My wants were ignored, however, when Lyla took my hand and began to pull me toward the staircase. Though I tried to resist, I found myself grudgingly taking the stairs one slow step at a time.

"Looking for you," Marko replied smoothly, his voice clearer than before. "Figured I'd grant you the honor of my company while we searched for Sage. You're welcome, by the way."

"Wow, vain much?" Grace snorted, shooting us a look that clearly said; hurry and move your asses!

With a sigh, I reluctantly nodded, keeping an eye on Lyla as we crossed over the treacherous terrain.

"What makes you think I'd ever be desperate enough to want your help?" she said, continuing to stall as we wound our way up.

"Oh, Grace, don't be silly. Of course you want my help. I mean who wouldn't? I'm a prodigy who's loved and respected by people everywhere."

"Marko, I seriously think you need help. These delusions of yours are getting out of control."

"Aww, it's okay sweets, you don't have to be intimidated by my wits and extraordinary good looks. I'm human too."