Chapter 13.5 (AN and Character List)

Author's Note

1. Obviously, this isn't a real chapter. But I put a scene from Peyton and Archer's fall break below the AN. The next chapter will be coming soon!

2.  Character List Below. Some of them you might not have met yet, but I'm placing all the characters that will show up in the book here.

- () -

Chapter 13.5

Three Days Before Halloween

"What's all this for?"

"It's cat food. What do you think it's for?" The sarcasm in my voice is drowned out by my heaving breathing. I stop just outside the door to catch my breath, letting the bag fall at my feet.

There's a sigh of exasperation, followed by a car door slamming shut.

"You're so slow," Archer says, walking towards me.

"Well, I'll like to see you try to carry the bag of cat food..." My voice trails off, though, when he actually slings the bag over his shoulder.

After throwing me a look that I can't decipher, Archer puts the bag in the trunk and gets in the car. Then, he swings open the passenger door from inside. I stand still for a moment, then climb in. The heater's on and the warm air washes over me as I slam the door shut.

"No fair," I mutter to myself. And then, in a louder voice. "How'd you get so strong?"

"There's a reason I'm capitan of the swim team." He starts the engine.

"Oh." I cross my arms and look out the window.

For a few minutes we stay silent, listening to the station Archer put on. He hums along to the song, which is slow and soft, drumming his fingers on the wheel. I lean against my seat, watching the blurs of the sky and streets. Soon, the soft rattling of the car lures me into sleep.

I close my eyes.

It isn't until Archer parks the car that I jerk awake. Tired, I turn my head to see what's going on. Archer's walking over to the back of the car, to where the cat food is - oh shit. I snap off my seatbelt, launch off my seat and run over to Archer. He barely gets the trunk open before I slam it shut again.

"What are you-"

"We can't let my parents see us," I hiss, clapping a hand over his mouth. "I took some money out of my college-savings account for this."

"You spent your college money on cat food?" Archer raises an eyebrow, gently pushing my hand away. His breath is warm on my hand. I wipe it on my jeans.

"Not just cat food. This could be the difference between her life and death."

"Sweetheart, if you waited this long to bring the cat food, it's probably dead."

"Wrong. The cat is still alive and hunting for food. I know because I found a dead rat under your porch the other day. I guess your neighborhood isn't as clean as you though it was."

"What were you doing looking under our porch?"

"That's not the point!" I snap, flushing. "The point is that I'm trying to save a life without letting my parents know. So, I would appreciate your cooperation."

"Okay, I'll cooperate," He looks amused. "What should we do?"

I think about this. "Bring your car into the driveway. We'll take the cat food into your room. Then, when it's night and my parents are asleep, we sneak out and you hand me the cat food in the backyard. I'll take it to my room."