Ten - Don't Freak Out

A set of coral colored beads and a silver necklace hung from the rearview mirror, giving her car a lived-in feel to it. The cup holders in the middle floor console were full. One held a brush with a yellow elastic wrapped around the end of the handle and a package of bobby pins still attached to the cardboard wrapper it came on, and the other held about twenty lipsticks in a complete array of colors. Before I could climb in, she had to move a gym bag stuffed with clothes from the passenger seat to the rear seat. She dumped it next to where she had tossed a pile of her books for class.

"Nice jacket," she said in a teasing tone.

I closed the door and clicked my seatbelt in place. "Ah give me a break, Kellan was just being sweet."

"Uh-huh." She didn't look convinced. "So spill already, I want details," she said like a little kid who couldn't wait another second to open up their birthday presents. "I get this cryptic S.O.S. text, only to find Jaxon, Kellan, Jessica and you with all the furniture topsy-turvy in the café. Not to mention, Ethan looking like he wanted to throw Jaxon out of the café on his head," she paused, "...and since when does Jaxon frequent the Stompin' Grounds anyway?"

"Since Jessica saw me go into the café wearing Kellan's jacket with him holding my hand?" I cringed answering her question with mine.

"What? You're kidding me right?" She stopped the car in the middle of backing it out.

I shook my head. "So not kidding. I think she probably texted him to let him know we were there."

"Wouldn't doubt it if she did, they are cousins," she said as she continued to back out the car. "So Kellan was holding your hand was he?" She teased giving me a playful shove. "Just being sweet my..." she added pausing just before she actually swore. She shook her head in disbelief and made a right onto Main street away from my house.

"Hey, where are we going? My house is that way." I pointed in the opposite direction.

"Pit-stop at my place." She smiled and shifted the car into the next gear. "No way, I'm going to drive you home and not get the rest of this," she paused as she made another turn, "story. And I need the rest of the story. You do know that nothing ever actually happens in here Swallow Falls, and then you arrive, and events have happened all day."

I groaned. "Pretty sure that's not what I'd like to be known for." She pulled up and parked in front of an earthy green colored house with white trim.

"Wait here. I'll be right back."

She ran up the walk to the front door and pushed it open to a brightly lit room. I could tell which room was hers when a light went on lighting up one of the windows, then about a minute later it went off again. When she came out the front door, she was carrying a small bag and large king sized pillow. She walked up to the car, opened the door and released her seat forward, and heaved her stuff into the backseat.