EIGHT

The doctor mechanically fist bumped after grasping the knowledge of the gesture. He was quick to collect the bowl and the sachet; he put them on his study while wiping his hands repeatedly on his shirt. I gulped and cracked a smile, my nose tingling as I felt like sneezing.

"...ahem!" I coughed and quickly stuffed the phone and the headphones in my front right pocket and jumped down from the cot, wincing as pain shot through my spine at the sudden motion.

"Do you have any work for me?" "I-I mean when I feel fine and functional enough to do something..."

I gulped and followed the doctor out of the room, analyzing each and every move of his, his vast back faced me as we went out of the room. I scratched the back of my head, a dull pain rippled in the left side of my head; it was small, but pressurizing.

The pain was like an insect, an insect which bit me before I came here... I looked around and my ears rang as the rain beat down upon the steel ceiling; my chest hurt...

My breathing hitched and even though I told myself that I was alright, I felt like...

...Sleeping.

Once or twice I saw stars, I coughed frequently now, my chest burnt, a beeping sound rang in my ears.

'It is not fine...'

'I felt weak...'

As seconds passed and minutes took place, I stood still at one place, trying to catch my breath even though I had done nothing worthy of being tired. I looked at Tank back then, I see the doctor now, and they all appeared so fine.

'Like nothing happened.'

'But, I, on the other hand felt drained...'

I sighed as I followed the doctor, my right hand slightly massaging my forehead as I tried to remember where I had felt the pain.

"If you are insisting," He turned to face me; his face masked a faint irritated expression, a calm and inert face covering up suppressed anger. It looked as if he was ready to kick me out of this place if I were to ask him any more questions. I only nodded furiously when the doctor went silent, probably asking for a response.

I was ready to listen to whatever job that he had for me to do, but my mind wandered. We walked into the halls and stopped, it was empty and I noticed the lack of weight on the wooden cot.

I stared at him.

"You vould find hammers and nails in zhat place," He pointed to a corner beside a partition; it was one of the many wooden partitions that divided the hall into rooms. They kept different kinds of objects into different rooms, respective of their types.

"Use zhem and start boarding up zhe vindows." We started to walk again; basically it was he who continued on his path, he must've thought that I was not following him but suddenly I had many questions to ask.

'Where did they find me?'

'Was there someone else with me?'

'Why didn't I think of it before?' I started following him, again. I looked around me and reality stared back at my face, chuckling at my misfortune. Everything around was anything but pixels or piles of two dimensions stacked on top of one another to form a stream of three dimension which always kept moving.

It was still, pulsating and living. I am living; I could breathe in the sour dampness and feel the sizzling pain in my left arm.

I needed some answers.

"Where did the others go?" I said to myself in a tiny voice and just started to speed walk behind him, I noticed him look at me through the corner of his eyes, and he suddenly turned and abruptly stopped. I quickly took four steps back, ready to run if the situation asked for. I could see a very 'living' someone, a video game character staring right at me with an impatient face.