Chapter 1

Hi, thanks for reading my story. Due to publication this story is now a sample size only. If you would like a digital copy you can find one at Amazon, Smashwords, iBooks, Kobo and Barnes and Noble

Copyright © 2013 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-6480239-5-1

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

Journal Entry 1

She told me to write it down. She said I would feel better by letting my feelings out in my writing. She promised me that would keep me going without her. She assured me that I would work things out without her. I know the truth now, she lied. I was the puzzle she couldn't solve; I was the one patient she couldn't fix.

My Dad was still dead and I was still leaving him behind to move halfway across the country. I wanted to hate my Mother for making me move but I couldn't. I wanted to hate her new boyfriend but I couldn't. Even though he had been my Dad's best friend I still couldn't hate him. My Dad was dead because of me, so the only person I could ever blame and hate was myself.

Chapter 1

"Zachary, where are you going?" A soft feminine voice made Zach stop and stifle a groan. He had hoped to sneak past his Mum without too much hassle, now that had been completely blown out of the water.

"Out Mum." He answered as carefree as he could.

"Get in here first young man there is something I need to discuss." Her voice was stern so he knew this was going to take a while. He quickly texted his mate Baz that he was going to be late before walking into the kitchen.

As usual his Mum had an apron wrapped around her, as she baked what looked like tiny little quiches. Her brown hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, while her hands and face were liberally covered with what looked like flour. She smiled at him and her brown eyes, just like his, sparkled. He went to quickly snatch up one of the cooling quiches that smelt delicious but got his hand smacked smartly.

His Mum Pippa, was a caterer. She was forever in the kitchen cooking up some delicacies for one different event or another, making their house smell scrumptious. His Dad Michael was a dentist. Zach often laughed at his parents for how truly opposite they were.

If his Mum was catering a children's party, his Dad would spend all his time tutting under his breath about cavities or other dental problems. His parent's loved each other deeply though and for that Zach was grateful. He had seen some of his friends go through the pain of divorce and it had often been unpleasant for all involved.

"Okay so what did you want to talk about?" Zach asked as he finally got hold of one of the quiches and quickly popped it into his mouth before his Mum could demand it back. She scowled at him while he just smiled innocently in return.

"You know how we organised a cruise this year?" Pippa asked as she trailed off nervously and Zach nodded.

"Yeah so?"