Chapter Thirty Seven

(Not edited)

-----------

"Can you not?" I turned around to glare at Xander for the hundredth time for standing on the back of my shoe. He raised his eyebrows, "Then slow down, we're not in a rush".

"I kind of am actually, you know my best friend is in here" I didn't slow down, instead I sped up. We had just arrived on the floor Tina was on and I was literally crashing into people I was running so fast.

My heart skipped a beat when I finally made it so I was standing outside her room. I glanced through the window and let out a breath when I saw her awake.

She was staring at the television... wait no, she was staring at the wall? I opened the door quietly and entered the room and she slowly turned her head toward me.

"Oh Tina, thank god" I let out a breath and ran over to her, wrapping my arms around her. I heard her make a noise and I pulled back quickly, thinking I hurt her.

"Hi" Her voice was weak, all energy drained from it. This was the voice of someone who just lost someone very close to her. They had informed her about Bobo.

I looked back to Xander who had just entered the room. His eyes met mine and he just shrugged, not knowing what to say. "I'm sorry" I looked back to Tina, sympathy in my voice.

Her eyes had no color in them as she stared up at me. "It's not your fault" 

It was.

If he hadn't stopped to help us.

"Xander and I are here for you, i-"

"I'm fine, really" She avoided my eyes.

"Tina, please" I begged her and she finally met my eyes with a pained expression, "It seems the world enjoys taking things from me" She shrugged casually.

"Bobo... my leg.. m-"

"What?"

She looked up to me, "What do you mean what?"

"You said your leg" 

"Oh" She pulled back the cover and my heart dropped. Her right leg lay there, perfectly fine apart from a few scratches... her left leg was just a stump. It was gone from above the knee and it had a bandage wrapped neatly around it.

"Oh my god" I brought my hands to over my mouth, closing my eyes, "Tina" I breathed out weakly. I had no clue.

"You look worse than I feel" Tina gave me a tiny smile, "It sucks though, it hurts so much and now I have no left leg" She stated the obvious and I almost smiled. She was still herself deep down.

"You're brave" Xander said from behind me, "If that was Milania and she lost her leg she'd be screaming. She fainted at the site of a needle yesterday when she was here"

Tina giggled lightly and I spun around to hit him, "Hey, you said I was one of the bravest girls you know so what the hell are you on about?!"

We watched each other for a minute before I rolled my eyes and turned back to Tina who's eyes were on us, tears forming in them. "Tina?! Does your leg hurt?" I panicked and she shook her head, giving me a tiny smile.

"You two should really get together soon, you don't realize how much you cherish the person until they're gone" My jaw tightened when she said this. 

"H-how long were you and Bobo together?" I asked quietly and she seemed to think about it. 

"A while, not too long though. I've known him for a year, we clicked straight away" She looked down, "If he was here now he'd be joking about my leg and teasing me. He understood me"

I closed my eyes to try stop the tears that wanted to escape. "He changed though" I re-opened my eyes when she said this.

"His 'friend' got him into drugs and he just changed. He was meaner and ruder but he would never physically hurt me. I think he was on something that night because I heard the truck coming and kept screaming him to stop but he seemed zoned out."

"He only realized one second before and last thing I heard was his cry" She was talking to herself now, not us. She looked up to me, the blank expression now returning.

"Can I be alone?" She asked and I bit my lip.

"Tina I don't thi-"

"Please" Her pleading broke my heart and I understood. I knew the feeling of wanting to be alone when shít when down. I nodded my head slowly, "We'll be outside"

"No" She stopped me, "Please just go home. I want to be alone for the rest of the day" She begged. We shared a look which made up my mind. I nodded my head.

"Call me if you need me" I told her,  "Even if it's in the middle of the night, we'll be back tomorrow"

"Are you sure you want us to go?" Xander chipped in and she nodded her head.

"Yeah, thanks" She nodded her head before looking back to the wall, "Bye" I gave her one last sad look before exiting out the door after Xander. I shut the door behind me tightly, lying against it for a minute.

"Her leg, I had no idea what to say" I sighed and got no response from Xander. I opened my eyes to look at him and raised my eyebrows when I saw him watching me intently.

"Milania" Why did he say my whole name?

"Hm?"

"Did you hear what Tina said in there?" 

"She said a lot"

"She said you don't realize how much your cherish a person until they're gone" My breath hitched up and I dropped my eyes.

"So?" I was nervous to where this was leading.

"So-" My eyes widened when my stomach growling interrupted him. We stared at each other for a minute before he burst out laughing. He stumbled away, brushing his hand through his hair leaving me just standing there scowling.

I had never seen him laugh so much. It wasn't funny.

Once his laughter died down he returned to me, wiping under his eye, "You were saying?" I grumbled and he grinned before shaking his head.

"Never mind" He chuckled, "Let's go get something to eat" He began strolling the way we had entered the hospital and I quickly hurried after him.

"Finish what you were saying" I argued and he shook his head.

"I'd rather not be interrupted by your rude stomach again" He glanced down at me and I bit my lip to hide my smile.

"What do you want to eat?" He asked, "Let's go out somewhere" 

Was this a time to be happy? To be eating out? When Tina was stuck in there...

My face dropped and he caught on to what I was thinking. He placed his hand on my head, "It's okay" He told me and those two words made me feel something. 

"Is it?" I asked quietly.

"You know she'd be sad if you beat yourself up over it. You heard what she said, Bobo was on stuff, he could have stopped in time"

"Maybe he deserved to die! Leaving Tina in that state.... she tried to stop h-"

I suddenly realized what I said and covered my mouth. I read the surprised look on Xander's face too.

"I didn't mean too" I breathed out.

"You're just upset and mad. You don't know who to blame" He reassured me.

I chose to try and believe his words.