Chap. 44

Recap:

Lee and McKenna go on a walk to get some alone time.

McKenna reveals how she felt when her sister passed and urges Lee to think about all of his options.

Lee comes clean to Parker.

*******************************************
"Where are you taking me?" I asked, as McKenna dragged me down the sidewalk.

"It's not that much further," she promised.

I reached up and pulled my beanie down further over my ears. "It's fucking cold."

She shook her head at my language choice, and I just laughed.

We reached a trail, and she took my hand in hers as she began hiking.

"You're taking me hiking?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Just trust me."

I let out a long sigh, but followed her up the trail, my Converse and jeans not really suited for the activity.

About 30 minutes into our adventure, I began to feel slightly lightheaded.

The Depression that I was currently trying to claw my way out of had left me without an appetite, and although I'd tried choking down more food recently, I hadn't managed to eat anything today.

And that was really starting to take its toll on me.

"Are you okay?" McKenna asked me, as I paused for a moment, the floor shifting beneath me.

I nodded, flashing her a smile. "Yeah, just got dizzy for a second. But I'm fine."

She gave me an uncertain look.

"How much further is this thing?"

"Not too much, I promise."

We rounded the last corner, and I stopped to take in the breathtaking view.

We didn't say anything for a few minutes, letting the scenery speak for itself.

"So was it worth it?" McKenna asked, smiling up at me.

I just bent down and kissed her.

"I'd say so," she said, once I pulled away.

I stared in awe for a few more minutes before McKenna began tugging on my hand.

"We better get back," she said, with an apologetic smile. "We've got to meet up with everyone else."

Right.

I casted one last glance over my shoulder before we began our hike back to the rest of our group, who opted to go shopping.

That's what we came out here to do. But McKenna had somehow convinced Parker to let her take me for a couple of hours.

I don't know how. He'd practically had me under lock and key. But I think Emily used some of her persuasion as well, because he'd relented into letting McKenna take me on this adventure.

As we headed back, I was hit with another dizzy spell, this one much more intense than the first.

"Lee?" McKenna asked, worriedly.

"I'm okay," I promised. "Just a little dizzy."

"Let's just rest here for a minute," she suggested, wrapping an arm around me and guiding me to the ground.

I tried massaging my temples, waiting for the feeling to pass.

A few straggling hikers had the common courtesy to ask if I was okay, which I assured them that I was.