A Mixtape

23

A Mixtape

"-- I like you, Annie."

I can't help the surprised exhale that escapes from between my parted lips, and with a hard swallow, I lean back to stare up at him. After all of that, yes, I still can't help but wonder if he was really serious. "Luke," I start, confused.

"I'm serious, Anastasia."

My eyes search his for any sign of doubt, just even a small sign, but incredibly enough, there's isn't any. I let my head hang, and I anxiously run my tongue across my bottom lip. It hadn't even been a mere week after our kiss, and already he was here confessing that he liked me? Was this a thing? Did people really do this? I hated that I didn't know. 

Nervous, I reach around and unclasp his hands from around my waist. "Um," I start, taking a step back. "You know, it's pretty late, Luke. We should go to bed." 

I can literally see his face fall. I hate myself for it. "What?"

"Luke," I pause, wrapping my arms around myself. "I don't know if you're playing me with me or not, an--"

"Annie, do you really think I would say all of that and not mean it?" He huffs, irritated. 

"Well, I don't know," I whisper, truthfully. His lips part in disbelief, and I quickly splutter, "I don't think you would."

He shakes his head, deflated. "Well, what do I have to do to let you know that I'm serious?" And, I don't know, maybe it's how willing and almost ready he instantly seems, like he'd lay the world at my feet if I'd asked, but it's then that I realize, he's serious. 

I glance down at his still parted, pink lips and I realize that I want to kiss him again. Like seriously kiss him. But I can't now. Enough has already happened today and I don't think I'll be able to deal with myself if I do. 

I stare at him and after a seriously long stretch of silence, I finally say shyly, "It's okay, I get it."

Briefly, a shy smile crosses his face, then he straightens up; his eyes gleaming. "Can I kiss you now? I don't think I can walk away from you right now, without kissing you."

I seriously want to, but I shake my head. "We probably shouldn't."

Luke tilts his head back to rest against my door, and my eyes are drawn to his Adam's apple. It bobs slightly underneath his skin when he swallows and my chest tightens. It's definitely time for me to head to bed. 

"I'm going to bed, move," I playfully tease. 

He looks down at me, "Ask nicely."

"Please?"

"Fine," he says. Still, he doesn't move. His eyes trail slow and deliberately down my body and he reaches forward and grips the side of my t-shirt; gently drawing me forward and right up against him. "You're still wearing these shorts."

Despite myself, I laugh, "Mhm, and I'd like to go to sleep in them too, so do you mind?"

Gently, he wraps his fingers around my neck so that his thumbs lightly rest at the base of my throat, and he leans down to kiss my forehead. "Goodnight, babe."

--

It's nine o'clock in the morning, and I really don't want to get out of bed. It's not that I'm tired, cause really, I'm not.  It's knowing that Andrew and my mom are back, and not wanting to face them.

Just last night, I couldn't sleep thinking about Luke's unexpected confession, and just the realization that we were in a house all alone and he was practically on the other side of the wall, really didn't make things any better.