one

dedication: AnonymousByChoice

first and foremost, i would like to address this dedication before the book begins. this person is incredibly important to me in so many ways. she has played a HUGE role in not only this book, but also in Accepting Autumn and whatever other things i do. she's an overall great person and friend. <3

------------------------------

[ cole's pov ]

Boxes were spread out across the green lawn like stars scattered in the sky.

I watched as a man wearing large glasses and pants pulled up too high waved away the moving truck. Following his footsteps, a woman appeared, dressed in a flowing material I had never seen before.

She grabbed the man's hand and led him inside of their new home. Even from the window, I could observe their big smiles and light steps.

"Cole." My mother tries to catch my attention. "Darling, if you stare out of that window all day, that new family will think you are some sort of a stalker."

I tear my gaze away from the window and face her. She is a petite woman, clothed in expensive brands and fine accessories.

She hands me a large basket. "Here. I had this welcoming gift made for them. You should go over there and introduce yourself. I heard they have a girl your age."

At the last sentence, she raises an eyebrow and the corners of her mouth slightly lift. My mother has always been a sort of romance junkie. Unlike normal moms who want to hold onto their dear child for a while longer, she strives to find me a suitable girlfriend.

Even when I was a little boy, she had dragged me along to her wealthy friends' New Year's Eve Party. I remember how she had carefully introduced me to each person in the room, making sure they acknowledged every talent I had. Naturally, though, being a child, there was always something that I did to embarrass her in front of her friends. I was either too loud or too shy. If I had ever said anything wrong, she would tighten her grip on my wrist, her fake nails digging into my skin. Later, she apologized and bought me ice-cream, only to add she had set me up on a date with the Mayor's daughter. I was six then.

It's almost as if she has always had my whole life planned out. I was born to be rich and successful, and all she can ever imagine is me dressed in an expensive suit with a beautiful girl hanging on to my arm.

I should probably be frustrated about my mother trying to live through me, always attempting to improve my faults. I'm not, though. If anything, I enjoy the expensive treats and luxurious life of having a materialistic mother.

"Okay, fine."

I don't really want to leave the house. The heat could scorch my skin and in all honesty, I'm not fond of being welcoming. However, there is no way I'm picking a pointless fight with my mom. Besides, I enjoy charming girls with my good looks. It's like a sport.

So I begin to walk to the house next door, a tiny comparison to the other large houses on the street.

I stop on the porch, staring at the bright yellow door. None of the other houses have anything like that. They have big, fine doors either looking rich in white or built with an expensive type of wood. A house like this doesn't belong in the neighborhood.

I slowly raise my hand to ring the doorbell, and then hear frantic footsteps. Curiously tilting my head, I make the mistake of leaning in a little closer.

A loud pang echoes throughout me as something smashes into my head.

As oxygen begins to pour out of my lungs, I realize it was the yellow door that had made contact with my face.

"Oh sweet cherry cupcakes!" The voice sounded feminine and young. "I am so sorry!"

My vision becomes blurry and my head starts to spin.

"Are you okay?" She sounds genuinely sorry and concerned, but my head is pounding too hard to care.

"No, I am most certainly not okay."

She seems completely unfazed by the comment.

"I just didn't know you were behind there or I wouldn't have opened the door with so much force."

I could sense her putting her hands on her hips.

"But then again, who lingers on another person's front porch?"

I was becoming very annoyed.

Although, I had to admit she had such a captivating voice, and there was a shred of hope in me that she could possibly be my next catch.

"Look. I came to bring you a welcome basket and leave. That's it."

Her sounding lovely didn't change the fact that I was extremely irritated.

I slowly start to see clearly again and I reach down to pick up the basket I had dropped.

Thrusting it forward at the girl, I finally catch sight of the person who had knocked the breath out of my lungs.

My mouth drops open.

Disappointment fills me.

She was ugly.

"I'm sorry, but I'm allergic to flowers."

------------------

[A/N]

1) I'm not that great at beginnings. Keep that in mind.

2) No, I don't think anyone is actually "ugly." I'm writing from the viewpoint of someone that does see people that way and that is where I'm getting the #FreeYourBody challenge from. The next chapter will go into more detail in understanding that.

3) yes, I understand when meeting a new character, you don't always want to go into detail of what kind of clothes they wear, if they are wearing a brand name, etc. However, since this is wrote in the pov of a guy who calls a girl ugly, I think it is appropriate to see what way he views people, even if that includes their face and clothes instead of personality and tiny details.

This fact is exactly what makes this story what it is.

Thanks for reading! ^.^