Chapter 14

You stared at the building before turning to Wirt. You looked at him quizzically as he continued to panic.

You could only pick up on some of his mumblings. "It can't-" "But what happened?"

"Wirt," you finally said firmly. He stopped mumbled and looked at you, eyes wide. You went on. "What's going on?"

He studied your face for a moment before turning away. What could be that bad? Why wouldn't he even- Your thoughts trailed off as you began to recognize the expression you saw so evident on his face. You'd only seen the expression once before, and you hadn't realized immediately because it had been subtle before. The other time you'd seen that face was in the cemetery, on the day he made his revelation about Quincy Endicott.

"Wirt.." you began more hesitantly this time. He looked up at you once again. You didn't even need to ask. His face gave it away.

"I don't know what happened," he spoke softly.

You tried to think, but all you remembered was the rain. Speaking of the rain, it was pretty much gone now. Only the drops left on the trees fell to the earth below. For a while the only sound was the pitter patter of those drops. You and Wirt couldn't react. What were you to do? Greg would be elated to be back, to see old friends, but he didn't know the truth.

"So, who's here?" you asked, gesturing to the building.

"It's the schoolhouse," he whispered.

School for animals, love sick teacher, potatoes and molasses. You recalled the things Wirt had told you about the schoolhouse. You supposed there were worse places to end up.

"Do you think anyone is there?" you thought aloud.

"Probably," Wirt shrugged.

You took your eyes off the red school and turned them to your friend. He was frantic, and he didn't attempt to hide it. You had similar feelings brewing, but you decided you needed to be strong. Panic could come later. Besides, Wirt had been through so much here, you couldn't blame him for freaking out.

"Hey," you grabbed his hand. "Why don't we go see if anyone is there?"

He looked down at your hands, then up at you and nodded slightly.

"Alright," you confirmed and began walking toward the building. If not for your grasp on his hand, you doubted Wirt would have followed.

You reached the door and peered in the open frame. No students at the desks, but it was after school hours after all. You continued your gaze to the front of the classroom. A woman sat at the large desk in front of a chalkboard, working on papers.

"Excuse me," you called softly into the classroom. As she looked up you came fully into the doorway, pulling Wirt beside you.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, standing up. "Come in, children."

You walked to the desk and stood before the teacher. Wirt was hesitant to follow.

"Say," she eyed Wirt. "You're the young man who helped save the school!"

He looked down at his shoes and mumbled something.

"Where is your charming, young brother?" she asked.

When Wirt didn't answer, you spoke up. "He stayed home."

She noticed you as if for the first time. "And who are you?"

"She's a friend," Wirt answered for you, still looking down.

"What brings you two to our school?" she asked. It was a fair question that you had no answer to.

"Well, we uh-" you stammered along until you noticed a small animal peek around the corner. The teacher followed your gaze to the animal and called for it to come out.

The animal was silent, but she insisted on everyone exchanging pleasantries.

"We just need directions," Wirt spoke up finally.

"To where, young man?" she asked.

"We're looking for the Woodsman," he told her. You remembered what Wirt had told you about the Woodsman; he had been the only actual help in this place, and he was probably the best bet again.

"Why he's more than a two days' walk away," she informed you two.

"He wasn't that far before," Wirt exclaimed. "The mill was only-"

"The mill?" the teacher smiled sympathetically. "The original owners have moved back there. The Woodsman, he's gone back to his home."

"The mill wasn't-" Wirt's mind drifted.

"Where is the Woodsman now?" you filled in.

"You head south until reaching Willow's Rock, then you head east," she explained.

"South until Willow's Rock. Then east," you recounted.

"Or do you suppose it was west?" she thought.

Oh... She probably wasn't the best source of directions, but you'd take what you could get.

"Thank you," you smiled.

"Children, night will be falling soon," she stated.

"All the more reason to head off now," you declared.

"Very well," she sighed. "Good luck, and come back soon."

You smiled and waved. As you were exiting the building, you noticed a blond man come out of the back room. The woman smiled at him and they began talking. You smiled. That must be her Jimmy B.

You looked at Wirt. He followed you out silently, the expression of concern still plastered on his face.

You looked forward, into the Unknown.