E I G H T

"The younger brother wanted to tell
the princess about the spy,
but the older brother caught him sneaking out,
and punished him."

・ ・ ・

Fire.

Eltros.

Xenor flipped another page of the book he was reading, scanning the contents quietly.

Eltros.

He tapped his pen on the notepad beside his book.

Slayen.

A pause. The dim, yellow light of his table lamp cast long shadows on the walls, and he watched them for a moment.

Utter, complete silence, broken only by the sound of soft scratches as he started scrawling on his notepad. Ink on paper, nearly illegible handwriting.

The emptiness of sound pressed in his ears.

Eltros.

He felt an insatiable thirst for more. Unquenchable.

Hunger.

It rumbled inside him, threatening to spew. Ambition was dancing a flamenco within.

Slayen is an Eltros.

Xenor paused in his scribbles.

Slayen is an Eltros, he repeated to himself. It said so in the book about the histories of the clans living in Argon.

All Eltros had fiery red hair, so vibrant they looked as though their heads were on fire.

All Eltros had red eyes, no matter the tone, shade, or tint.

Slayen had flame red hair, only slightly darker.

Slayen had red eyes, the colour of crimson.

Even though his father denied it, even though the clan was supposed to be extinct since many centuries ago, Xenor knew.

He knew that Slayen was an Eltros. Even Silix believed the boy was one.

I am right, he told himself firmly, setting down his pen. I am always right.

I will always be right.

Staring at the notes he had made, Xenor tried to recollect his scattered thoughts. He propped his elbows on the table, rubbing his temples to soothe the ache in his head. It had been throbbing for the past few days, starting some time after Slayen had been jailed many months back.

Perhaps it was because of the fact that he had suddenly been deluged by a pervasive desire for power. He was on the brink of drowning, only barely managing to keep his head above the surface and stay calm. Collected.

I have been endowed with everything... and yet I feel like I have nothing.

I need more.