Chapter 24

Annoying Pinspiration Quote #24

"You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one."

"Mr Marx?" The very pretty brunette flight attendant with Disney princess-sized eyes appeared beside Rupert's seat. "Would you mind terribly if we borrow you for a few photos with the rest of the flight crew? We're so honoured to have you flying with us." She batted her eyelids, actually fluttered them up and down, which I'd previously thought was something that only sexy cartoon skunks did.

Rupert automatically turned towards me. "Do you mind, love?"

"God, no." I waved him off. "I've got about a hundred movies to choose from, my book and champagne. Go nuts. Oo – nuts!" I threw a honey cashew in my mouth and crunched happily.

He kissed my knuckles, then loped off with the brunette, unaware that the gazes of every woman in business class followed him. In black jeans, and his trademark vest and tee combo, he projected effortless rock star cool, the swag that emanated from his every pore. He tossed his golden hair back as he passed through the curtain, and I swore the woman opposite me audibly sighed.

I laughed under my breath, and she turned towards me. "You're travelling with Rupert Marx," she said, as if I didn't already know.

"Yup."

Although middle-aged, she was an attractive woman with sleek black hair. "He's such a playboy – don't you worry about him with all those air hostesses?"

I thought about not snorting, then changed my mind and snorted derisively anyway. "Nope. Don't believe everything you read."

"I'm just saying, I'd be incredibly insecure about dating the world's hottest rocker."

Rather than bothering to correct her on any count, I chose instead to lower my seat back to its horizontal position, and let the divider block out her face and any further questions. I plumped my pillow, and considered her words. Maybe if Rupert and I were going to be a permanent thing, I might have been more defensive of him, but was that anyway to live? Constantly worrying about whether the other person might give in to the easy temptation on offer everywhere?

Was that Jade's real concern? That Rupert might cheat? She didn't understand him at all if that was her true motivation for cutting him off. The whole 'you'll ruin me thing' seemed a little too weak to be a reason to leave someone you were prepared to marry only one day earlier. Putting his ex out of my head, I reached for my novel and opened a tiny can of Pringles, feeling very pampered.

Rupert returned a little while later, smelling of perfume. "Lordy, those women are relentless – and handsy like randy octopuses! And don't even get me started on the lovely male hostie who gave me his number and kept trying to slide his hand into my back pocket."

I laughed, sitting up slightly. "You're sweet to spend time with the crew. You could have just said no, and instead you did something they'll be so excited about."

"You could have said no too," he said, leaning in and stealing a Pringle. "I don't want you to feel like you're not important."

"I know. But honestly, I'm pretty happy at the moment." I gestured around me at the luxury travel accessories keeping me company. "I'm not exactly doing time in the salt mines."

"I just don't want to ditch you, that's all, love."

"I don't feel ditched. Maybe I would have once, but... I don't know. I've changed over the last few months. I used to worry constantly about screwing up and missing the boat on relationships and babies and ending up alone. I'm not concerned anymore."