Chapter 18

(Eva's POV)

             "Eva wake up" I could hear Nate talking but I didn't want to wake up. I just wanted to keep sleeping. So I swatted his hand away.

               "Shhhh five more minutes."

               I heard and felt him shake as he chuckled to himself.

                "Cmon Eva we need to get going remember?"

                   Opening my eyes and yawning while I stretched was a bitter sweet thing to do. Bitter because I knew I was going to be awake completely and there was no turning back. And sweet because hopefully Nate and I find our family or someone that could help us.

                    "Fine. I'm awake." I say standing up.

                    "Cmon we should probably get going. The sooner the better." Nate says running a hand through his hair.

                     So we did just that. We packed up our stuff which was some leaves, twigs, and the strawberries and headed out again.

                   The woods always reminded me of our mom. Just because when she wanted to go out and have family day we would always be some where private in the woods.

                    We lived by a lot of kids and families so we always had our own group of friends. We even had a school that was close by our house. It was about a 5 minute walk. It was cool from what I can remember. Kind to think about it, I don't remember a lot about anything.

                      "Hey Nate?"

"Yea?"

"What was mom like?"

He snapped his head towards me and he looked confused.

"What brought this on?" He said still walking.

"Nothing. It's just I can't remember our childhood before she died. It's like all my memories were erased and the ones I remember are the ones dad told us."

"I... I don't know a lot. I wish I did but I only remember bits and pieces of her."

He said looking down at his feet but never' stopped moving.

"Will you tell me about her? Like the things you remember?" I ask a little embarrassed.

"Sure. What do you want to know?"

"Mmmm what was she like?" I asked.

I looked over at Nate to see him thinking over what he's going to say.

"She was funny. I remember one time when I was about 8 the twins were 6 and you were 4 and it was Halloween. Dad had to work or something telling mom he'd be back later on that night. So mom dressed us all up. I was a banana, Danny was a green grape, Alex was a red grape and you were a strawberry. Mom dressed up like a cake and when dad came home she said who's hungry for desert and we attacked him. Dad laughed so hard and he never looked at fruit cake the same."

So dad did smile and laugh. And he wasn't always such a strict and emotionless person. But I guess when mom died he lost a part of him. I guess that's what true love does to you. I had to smile at that. Mom really did bring out the best in dad.