One Hero Away...

METROPOLIS - November 12th

9:55PM

Superman had been beaten so badly by AMAZO, he could barely stand. Combine that fatigue with the Kryptonite rays coming from AMAZO, and he knew that it was a recipe for disaster.
He fell to the floor, his vision beginning to blur as he looked at the unconscious Flashes and Artemis.
"Is this the last thing I'll see..?" he asked himself. "My friends falling before me..?"
AMAZO marched over to him, it's mercilessness radiating colder than the metal it was made from.
"Goodbye, Man of Steel..." Ivo's voice laughed.
AMAZO lifted it's foot just above Superman's head.
Superman sighed with defeat and looked at the rest of the unconscious Team.
"Goodbye, guys..." he whispered.
Then, AMAZO's foot came down-

But there was no pain. No sensation of being killed.

Completely confused, Superman forced his eyes open and saw a sun-shaded silhouette standing above him, slowly crushing AMAZO's foot in his pale hand.
"Seriously Ivo?" the silhouette laughed. "You made this robot after ME?!"
Superman recognised that voice.
"DESMOND?!" he exclaimed.
But Desmond ignored him and tore AMAZO's left foot clean off before he spun around and kicked it into the air, the resulting collision of Desmond's foot sending shockwaves surging along the ground, kicking up debris and parked cars into the air.
Desmond looked back at Superman coldly.
"Do me a favour and stay here." he half asked, half ordered. "Let the bog boys duke this one out..."
Superman looked at him with a stunned, bloodied face.
"Thank you..." he said.
Desmond scoffed and smiled, walking over to where AMAZO landed.
"Don't thank me yet..."
And before another word could be spoken, Desmond launched himself into the air.

AMAZO laid in a pile of rubble, small bits of wiring sending small, blue sparks dancing along the rocks.
"AMAZO?!" Ivo snapped into the microphone. "What's the matter with you?! GET UP!!"
AMAZO slowly got to it's feet, but then fell back down.
"You infernal android!!" Ivo yelled. "GET UP!!!"
"Oh, come on Ivo..." a voice said below them.
AMAZO moved it's head forward and saw Desmond slowly rising over the edge of the building, his arms folded with a smug smile.
"You ought to treat your creations more nicely..." Desmond said. "Do you want to make poor AMAZO cry?"
"I'll deal with you in a minute..." Ivo's voice spat.
"With what?" Desmond scoffed. "You're robot had it's leg and wiring damaged. I'm not scientist, but I'm pretty sure that means AMAZO isn't going anywhere..."
Suddenly, AMAZO's hand lashed out, barely missing the side of Desmond's head.
"No cigar!" Desmond taunted it.
With a heavy whirring sound, AMAZO twirled onto it's side, kicking it's ruined legs up at Desmond, but completely missed him and gave Desmond the opportunity to grab it.
"You know, Ivo..." Desmond said with a blank expression. "I've been wondering...Does killing a robot modelled after me count as suicide..?"
Ivo's voice growled angrily. He didn't like being mocked.
"Food for thought. " Desmond shrugged.
But before Ivo could snap back, Desmond had already lifted AMAZO and thrown him over the edge of the building.
Just below them, Artemis and the Flashes began to stir. Artemis was barely conscious, but suddenly woke up when she saw AMAZO falling towards her.
Before she could cry out, Desmond suddenly appeared in front of her, his hand tearing through the Kryptonite reactor in it's chest.
"Sorry..." he said without looking at her. "Misjudged the distance..."
He punched AMAZO back into the air and flew up after it.
And when he did, he clapped his hands, only once.
But once was enough.
As soon as Desmond's palms met, a loud bang echoed throughout the whole block, surging through the air, sending cracks through the brick of buildings and smashing every glass pane, light and object in the district to nearly nothing.
The shockwave cleaved AMAZO clean in half, like AMAZO was hot butter.
It's torn fragments scattered along the sidewalk, raining small, smouldering fragments all over the Team, who had to cover their ears.
"How's that for a standing ovation?" Desmond laughed.
"Damn you!!" a voice yelled from behind him.

Desmond turned around in the air to see Ivo standing there, his wrinkled face contorted with rage as he reached into the side of his sweater.
He pulled out a small revolver and held it up at Desmond's chest.
"Oh come on..." Desmond scoffed. "You aren't seriously going to try that are you?"
Ivo yelled and pulled the trigger...
...But the bullet immediately bounced off of Desmond and hit Ivo in the arm, making him scream in pain.
"Well, that was a stupid idea now wasn't it?" Desmond said flatly.
Ivo fell to the floor with loud groans of pain as Desmond walked over to his dropped gun.
"Walk it off..?" Desmond said. "You'll get over it..."
He picked up the gun and emptied all but one of the rounds.
"No hard feelings, Ivo...Well, at least from me. Savage is pissed!"
He aimed the gun at the screaming scientist.
"See ya."