Chapter 12 - "Now The Real Game Begins."

DEDICATED TO MarsbarLover

Chapter 12 - "Now The Real Game Begins

Chapter 12 - "Now The Real Game Begins."

"Just tell me what happened, Beta Ezra!" I exclaim for the thousandth time, as he speeds the car down the smooth roads leading to our Pack, his eyes tight and backbone taut with tension. He glances at me for a split-second, then fixes his eyes steadily on the almost empty road, his fingers tightening around the steering wheel in a white-knuckled grip.

"Nothing, Aleph. Our Alpha will take care of it." He replies, trying to act indifferent, but the tight lines around his eyes and the hard line he has his lips pressed, suggests otherwise.

"You have never let her go by herself before, have you?" I guess, trying to put the pieces together, surmising up their odd behavior. A tight nod is the only answer he gives, as he goes back to fretting internally.

Oh, how he must hate me right now for keeping him from protecting his Alpha from Goddess knows what might be the problem!

"Is it rouges?" I prompt, trying to get a clue of the situation. I'd thought it'd be easy to get the answer out of Beta Ezra, due to his loud mouth and cheerful demeanor, but surprisingly, he's being extremely tight-lipped about this situation.

A harsh, humorless laugh bubbles from his throat and he casts me a look before turning away.

"If it were Rouges, I'd probably be getting it on with Emerald right now, not having a care in the world. 'Cause believe me when I say that Alpha has no problem holding her own against weak, pathetic creatures, who are powerless without a leader." He says bitterly, trying to maintain the poker face, which is rebelling so hard against him to drop.

I blanch at his bold admission about his private life, but my worry for Seneca overpowers my prudent need to blush at such comments. My pale face pales further in evident displeasure, but no matter how much I try to convince myself, it doesn't work. He takes a look at my ghastly pale features and his face pinches in concern, finally emotion penetrating his insouciant façade.

"Don't worry about it, Aleph. Alpha Mates will be able to sense extreme emotions of their other half even before Mating at times. Your added worry will only make things worse. Please." He rasps, his dark brows drawn together in an expression of mixed feelings.

I nod slowly, trying to erect the walls that kept me sane in the aftermath of my 'Mother's' drunk escapades and tantrums and keep all my emotions tucked into a neat corner in my mind. Fortunately, it works, and my palpitating heart slows down, calming down to a steady tempo.

Suddenly, the car slides out of control, the speeding tires screeching across the road with a deafening roar. Quick as lightning, Beta Ezra takes control of the wheel, slamming his foot down the brakes and regaining equilibrium. The car lurches to a jerky stop, inches short of running over three humungous Wolves, standing with their teeth bared and hackles raised.