Chapter 2

Heyy, so I went over this chapter and refurbished it a little. I added a description of April's appearance (upon Rose_Aflame 's request 😊) and I added some pictures. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy❤️

~

It was April's first courting season and a ball was tonight. She had no idea what to wear-or what to do for that matter. She had always imagined going to parties with her father and laughing as he scared all the young men away. It hurt her that her dream could never come true.

She would worry about parties and clothes later; she had work to do. She was a maid now and grateful for it. The scrubbing kept her mind off everything painful.

She kept to herself, avoiding all members of the Hugh family as well as the other maids. Or at least she tried to.

Because of human nature, some people had tried to "reach out" and comfort her. She would accept their hugs and words of sympathy and nod at whatever they said until they left; not forgetting to give them a polite fake smile.

When she was finally alone, she would clean until her hands ached enough to ignore the pain in her heart and the hurt that came along with her loneliness.

While all of the other maids were cleaning the kitchen, April went to the library. She was dusting off the shelves when she heard voices: whispers and giggles.

Her heart skipped a beat as the voices came closer; she was not in the mood for human interaction.

"Adam, not in here, one of the maids could see us. Your mother could see us!"

"Dynasty, remember the last time we were in a library together?" His voice was low and seductive

April quietly searched for an escape route.

"Adam Hugh Jr. don't you dare-" She cut herself off with a squeal. "Adam, put me down," She said after a fit of giggles.

"Okay," He whispered.

And then silence. April wondered where the voices could've gone. She peeked through the bookshelves to see. She had to cover her mouth to catch her gasp. There was a woman straddling a man who was seated beneath her and gripping her thighs.

Quickly averting her eyes, April blushed furiously.

The silence was then filled with several moans and whimpers coming from both voices. April all but sprinted out of the room.

When she was far enough away from the library, she stopped and caught her breath, bending over and bracing her hands on her knees.

She straightened up just as she heard voices in the living room. God, more people, she thought anxiously.

"Did you put Trinity down for her nap?" A female's voice asked.

"Yes, she's sleeping now. That leaves you and me," A male voice answered.

"Is that so?"

"Mhmm."

Then there was silence. April felt like she knew what was coming next, she rushed down the hall until she reached the kitchen.

Everywhere I go in this house, someone is making love, she thought which made her feel even lonelier.

Seeing Liz in the kitchen she went up to her.

"Excuse me, Liz?"

"Yes, dearie?"

"I haven't been feeling too well lately," she was not being completely dishonest. "Could I take a break and go lay down?"