The past is a book better left closed

Kat's transition aesthetic is in the pictures section, it shows what it was like for her while she was being experimented on.

Steve•

I sat on the couch with my head in my hands, Kat hadn't come back at all last night. Normally I'd be afraid something happened to her but I knew exactly why she hadn't come home, I pushed her to far.

I heard the door open and slam shut, I looked up and there Kat stood, a dried tear on her face.

"No more secrets" she slammed her file on the coffee table separating us "I've come to terms with it, now it's your turn."

I pulled the file closer to me, I stared at it not knowing what to do. I made a huge deal out of her not letting me know her past but now that anything and everything about her was sitting in front of me i didn't know if I was ready.

"I can admit I'm not fireproof, but my past burns me every single day. I dream about, it's the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I go to sleep. I don't want you to carry this weight but since you're so dead set..." She trailed off

"The past is a book better left closed" she turned on her heels and walked out the door, God knows where she was going.

I looked at the file for a minute then opened slowly. A stack of papers and photos lay in front of me, the first thing on top was one of many police reports and security footage attached. I popped the disk into the DVD player and started reading before I watched. Arrested on assault charges with witness reports and security footage. Victims were admitted into the hospital with broken noses, broken bones, fractured ligaments, and internal bleeding

Her testimony: they deserved it, they were bullying a poor kid who was to small to rightfully fend them off.

Most of them read the same thing except the last police report, her testimony read: they said I couldn't kick their asses so I did

I chuckled at that last one because it sounded so much like something she'd say. I pressed play on the security footage and their Kat stood, surrounded by 3 guys and standing tall in a yellow skirt, lace tights, combat boots, and a leather jacket. I watched as she single handedly took on three guys, punching them and kicking them also the occasional elbow or knee to the face. She was a terrific fighter but nothing compared to how good she is now. Her fighting style is a little unconventional but obviously strictly  trained. Her hits are all very clean and dead centered while her cat like reflexes allow her to dodge hits quickly and smoothly.

After that there were secretive photos of her at gun ranges, at the gym, at school, of her volunteering, and of her at bars.

A series of questions to determined how'd she'd react in times of crisis and if she'd do what she was told. Like Kat would actually ever do what she was told. Pages of dna tests, blood samples, and simulated chemical reactions.

The very last thing in the file was a DVD in a plastic sleeve, I replaced it with the one that was already in the player. There she was, strapped to a bed. Millions of needles were stuck in her arms and legs. I fast forwarded to a different day when they had her hooked up to an machine with needles drilled into her head. I watch as they cut lines down her arms and sent electric charges through her brain. Blood began ozzing out and after about 4 minutes they realized that she couldn't heal herself.

I skipped to another day where they had a drip of liquidated tesseract, soon after that her veins started to glow orange and soon became inflamed. It came to the point where I couldn't watch anymore and I was only a few weeks into her 3 year version of hell.

I came to the realization that she didn't want to think about this, she wants to shove it down into deepest parts of her mind so she never has to see it again but she can't seem to escape it. It keeps her up at night and she can't even escape it in her dreams. I shouldn't force her to open up, I should allow her to open up on her own.