Shopping

AU: Stiles gets stressed out in the store because they ran out of the paper plates their daughter, Alice, wanted for her birthday party meal. The moment between the couple is then ruined...

"Derek, they ran out, I'm telling you! We gotta try the other store." I complain, tugging on my boyfriends arm like a child.

"Look, sweetie, I'm sure they're here somewhere. If not, we can find something else. They're just plates." He says, rolling his eyes at me, stifling a laugh. I groan at him.

"But she said she wanted the blue ones with the flowers on!" I argue back, my voice getting high.

"Look, Stiles, sweetie, it'll be fine!" Derek speaks in a hushed, calming tone, with a hint of a chuckle in his voice. I frown at him immaturely and fold my arms across my chest.

"Come here." He says, pulling me close to him. He has his arm over my shoulder and pulls me in, brushing his soft lips against my forehead.

"I just want everything to be perfect." I mumble into his shoulder quietly.

"I know, I know. It will be, don't worry." He whispers, stroking my hair with his hand.

"I can't believe she's gonna be five... God, time's flown by." I say, thinking of how quickly our daughter's grown.

"She's getting tall. And have you noticed how long her hair is now?" Asks Derek into my ear.

"Mm. It probably needs a trim, you know." I laugh. Derek shakes his head against mine.

"I don't wanna." He frowns.

"She looks so much like you now." I say, smiling into his shoulder.

"Except for your cute little upturned nose. And she has your adorable moles." Derek whispers in my ear.

"But she has your stunning eyes and hair colour."

"She's pale like you."

"But tall, like you." I whisper, leaning in and pecking him on the nose.

However our moment is interrupted when a middle aged couple walk past, arm in arm.

"God, Darling, look at those two disgusting faggots!" Snarls the man to his wife, 'supposedly' quietly but obviously meant for us to hear. He points at us with a long bony finger and his wife looks at us with disgust.

"That kind of obsenity shouldn't be allowed in the public!" She replies, frowning. I feel my face burn a bright red, and Derek's body goes tense. He slowly releases me from his embrace and starts to walk toward to the couple.

"Derek, honey, come on, it's fine." I whisper after him, trying to pull him back by his arm. He ignores me and continues toward the couple.

"Sweetie, come on. They're not worth it." I say, resting my hand on his arm. The couple now look slightly intimidated.

"I'm sorry, but it's the fucking 21st century-"

"Derek, come on, let's go..."I try to persuade him, but he sh's me.

"-and I am actually still shocked at the number of homophobic piece of shits there are around." He speaks firmly and the couple mumble something along the lines of an apology before quickly turning away and walking off.

"Der, you don't have to do that every time, you know." I say softly, taking his face in my hands and stroking his cheeks. He looks slightly guilty, but more angry.

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just, these people, they-"

"I know, sweetie. But they don't matter, okay?" I say softly, kissing him on the nose. "What matters is these damn paper plates!" I say, looking back towards to the shelf, my arms flailing in despair.

A smirk spreads across Derek face when he looks at the shelf and he steps past me, reaching up to the top.

"You mean these paper plates?" He asks, smiling, holding up a packet of plates. Sure enough, in the packet, there are some blue plates with flowers on.

"God, I love you." I smirk.