XXIV. Tattoos on the Wall

Theo ran back up to the streets to get his car, his heart almost leaping out of his chest. Once on the road, he tried to call Desiree's phone but there was not answer. "Fuck!"

He honked his way through the other vehicles, receiving shouts from pedestrians and drivers alike. In just under three minutes, he managed to escape the busy streets and was heading straight to Vernier's residence.

His phone rang and he answered, "What?"

"In case you forgot, I decided to be your backup," Richard's voice said from the other end. "I'm right behind you."

He threw his phone on the dashboard and stepped on the gas. At the rate of his anger, he didn't think he needed backup. If Vernier touched one hair of Desiree's hair, Theo will make it his job that the man would not live to see his grandchild born.

*****

Desiree was shaking with fear. She couldn't help it. She knew it was time for her to send Theo the signal but her phone was out of sight. And even if he hadn't done anything yet, she would have sent the fucking signal anyway.

The moment they stepped inside his house, she knew right there and then that she was in the company of a crazy man. The shift he took was so sudden, so alarming. The gentle manner on his face and posture was completely gone now as he stared at her, looking her up and down.

"You know, I was half afraid Theo grew attached to you that he would not consider my offer. But alas, he is still the man I thought he is. Just like his old man," he quietly said, his voice echoing around the big, dark and empty house. Heavy curtains blocked the moonlight from outside and the lamps from the corners around the place barely managed to help her do what she needed to do which was to escape. "I think you know that you will never leave this place again, don't you?" The moment he asked the question, Desiree whirled around to run to the door but the man was fast to grab her hand and roughly pull her back. "Now, now...don't make this difficult, Desiree, my dear. I am not going to do whatever you think I am going to do," he said above her, his voice menacing and evil.

"Let go of me. Theo will hear of this and he is not very forgiving—"

His laughter boomed around the place. "Theo doesn't care, my dear. Do you think that after giving him as much orgasm as he wants will make him do whatever it takes to save you? He's a businessman. All he will care about when I am done with you is to be compensated for the damages."

She felt blood draining down her face at his words. "You're wrong. He is going to kill you if you as much as hurt me, you bastard!"

Vernier made a tsking sound against her ear. She leaned as far away from him as she could but that only made him grip her arm harder. Wincing in pain, she spat on his face. "You don't have to get dirty, bitch," he rasped against her ear. "I only need one thing from you and it is right..." his hand roughly ran through her thigh, "here," he said.

"You are not going to get anything from me." Her voice shook with rage and fear. In her mind, she was blaming Theo. He should have known better, made plans. He should have known he was dealing with a psychopath. But first, she had to survive and escape before she could wring Theo's neck herself. She had to be calm and think of a way out. Find a weapon, impale Vernier whichever way she could and get away.

"You don't have any idea what I want from you, do you? Why don't I show you instead?" He pulled her away and into a dark corridor. This time, Desiree didn't struggle. But she took her time to memorize the way, her eyes scanning for any possible exit. Vernier stopped at the farthest door to the right. The door was protected by a passcode and she watched as he punched six numbers. The hidden locking mechanism clicked and Vernier swung the door open.