Chapter Nine: No One is Coming

A sudden cold shock of ice water ripped through my body. Unconsciousness flew away in an instant like frightened birds. My eyes shot open, a cry of alarm escaping me. The frigid water had been dumped over my head and had instantly chilled me to the bone. Wherever I was, it was dark, with pale light streaming through a small window near what I assumed was the ceiling, and it was cold even without the frigid bath I just received.

"Good morning Princess," a deceivingly sweet voice crept from the darkness.

"Hello?" I asked "Where am I? Can you help me!" I begged, fighting the restraints I was being held in. A girl with auburn hair stepped out of the shadows. In a split second, everything rushed back to me.

"Did you enjoy your sleep? You've been in and out consciousness for nearly a week." she said with false compassion. "It has been a trial to make sure you were alive."

"Lily." Her face was crossed by a smile as her name escaped my lips. My arms flexed under the ropes that bound me to the wooden chair. Lily walked around me in circles. "Where am I?" Lily didn't acknowledged me question.

"You, Rachel, are a very special girl."

"Is that so?" I said, trying to swallow my terror. 

"And because you're so special, I have a few questions to ask you."

"Well, I really don't think I feel like talking," I said. In a flash, Lily smacked me across the face.

"I will not tolerate disobedience!" She spat as me. I looked at her, my eyes cold with hate.

"Go to Hell." I whispered. Lily's eyes flashed.

"Been there, done that, but since you are being so rude, I guess I'll just have to get my answers the hard way." She snapped her fingers and Lewis came out of the shadows with a metal cart covered by a sheet. He smiled knowingly at me then disappeared back into the shadows of the room. Lily removed the sheet exposing an assortment of objects. As if the objects were precious gems, she gently lifted a long silver stake knife off the cart. She twirled knife around in her fingers for a minute before returning to me.

Inside, I was terrified of what she was going to do to me, for it was all to clear.

"Please don't do this..." I breathed, trying to move away out of instinct. With bone crushing strength Lily held my arm down. It was already tied to the arms of the chair and the ropes were starting to rub the skin raw. She gave me a cruel smile then plunged the knife into the center of my arm. I screamed, god I screamed so hard. The pain caused all the muscles in my body to seize at once.  I now understood the meaning of blinding pain. It was the type of pain that tore through my entire body and wouldn't let go, leaving my lungs desperate for air. Tears poured from my eyes and for a moment I thought I would black out from the pain.

Agonizingly slow, Lily pulled the knife from my arm. "Feel like talking now?" I looked at her with those hollow black eyes, shuddering from the explosive pain. Beads of sweat forming on my skin, lungs heaving from the shock. Blood pulse from my arm dripping onto the cement floor but still I held me silence, not giving into the pain. My chest was on fire and I trembled. What if I bled out? She placed a gauze underneath my arm, tying it loosely. She waited my response, but received nothing.

"No? Well then I guess we get to have some more fun." Lily grinned widely and turned back to the table. I felt a sudden wave of despair pass me by. What if I die here? I wondered to myself, What if no one comes and..... No shut up. They will come. I know they will.

"They aren't coming, you know. And they can't track you." Lily said selecting up a small dagger returning to me. It's shining blade reflecting in my eyes. She gently traced the line of my jaw pressing hard enough to leave a cut, a small trickle of blood sliding down my neck. I hissed at the sting. She looked into my eyes, which said that she was wrong. "Oh I know you think they will be able to find you but you're wrong; especially since you'll have this carved into you."