Chapter 9: Dinner

Natalie's POV

Patrick sat down at the end of the table, and we dug into the food. Carter had put Lucas in a high chair along with Lily. When Carter sat down I could feel him tense up next to me. I was going to ask why he's so tense but I decided against it.

"So today has been a stressful day," Patrick began.

"Tell me about it,"I mumbled, so no one could hear it. However, Carter must have heard me because, he glared at me. Oops.

"Whats happened today dad?" Thomas asked.

"Well I offered Martinez a job," Patrick paused then glared at Carter,"He didn't take the job he said my son, Carter, would regret firing him."

"Oh what can he do,"Carter sighed, and shoved some mashed potatoes in his mouth.

Patrick ignored him then continued,"And then my second in command, Chance, didn't show up today. We've tried to locate him, but we've had no luck.....I fear the worst. There's a search team out right now, I hope they find him."

I looked at Carter, and his eyes went wide then back to normal. Kent, Kai, and AJ all tensed up, while Cole just sat there and ate his food. I looked down at my lap then back to Carter. The room got silent, when I looked at Patrick he was looking at Carter.

"Do you know anything about Chance's whereabouts Carter?" Patrick glared. I sucked in my breath.

"No dad," Carter replied,"I don't know where Chance is." I sighed in relief.

"Are you lying?"Patrick challenged.

"Why would I lie?"Carter asked. The room was silent. I thought he had a good relationship with his father?

"I know you Carter," he sighed,"You won't admit your faults. So if you've done something wrong you'll lie about it."

Carter growled,"I don't know where Chance is."

"Natalie," Patrick sighed,"Do you know where Chance is?" Play it cool Natalie you got this.

"Who's Chance?"I asked. Carter patted my leg, and took a bite out of his chicken.

"Patrick would you stop interrogating them," Violet sighed.

Patrick held his hands up in defense,"I was just curious."

It was silent for a few minutes. It was a very uncomfortable silence, and guess how it made me feel. Uncomfortable. All you could hear was the sound of forks cutting at the chicken, and the occasional scrape of the fork against the plate.

The silence was broken by a phone's ringtone. My ringtone. Everyone looked at me, and I removed my phone from my pocket. Keith was calling.

"Excuse me, I have to take this,"I announced, and walked into the living room.

~~~~~Phone Conversation~~~~~

Natalie: Hey

Keith: Hey there sister.

Natalie: What do you need?

Keith: I'm just making sure Carters hasn't hurt you. You're fine right? He hasn't tried to rape you or anything?

Natalie: Yes I'm fine, and no he hasn't tried to rape me or hurt me. He's only yelled at me a few times other than that he's been nice.

Keith: He yelled at you?!? For what?

Natalie: I said his rules were stupid, and some other things I can't tell you.

Keith: Why can't you tell me?