25 Shooting

Since Yuna was early, she decided to walk. On her way she met countless people, who led a normal life. Some were in the lunch break, others shopping or just meeting with friends. These people were not aware of the danger in which they could float.

She passed a school and watched for a few minutes the children during physical education classes. She thought of Mai and Ayu, who would never do this in their lives. She was sure that this thought had to make her sad, but she felt nothing. The girl went on.

Finally, she arrived at Yoshiro's place. The main entrance was locked, so she went back to the side entrance. It was still open, as he had said. She entered the warehouse and continued to his "living room".

"I'm a little earlier, uncle."

No reaction. Yuna searched the room, but Yoshiro was nowhere to be found. The gun of her father was still lying on the table. In addition was a box of ammunition. She had seen in movies how to load a magazine.

The girl sat down at the table and grabbed the gun. She tried to pull out the magazine, but somehow it seemed to be secured. She fumbled on the handle, until she found the lever to eject the magazine and was able to remove it. It was still empty.

She put the gun on the table and opened the box with the cartridges, which she had taken out of her satchel and laid next to the gun, before she left this morning. She took one bullet out and turned it between her fingers.

"Something this small can kill you. Sick."

Yuna put the magazine on the table and tried to push in the bullet. After a few seconds she had made it and took more bullets out of the box, which she also loaded into the magazine. Now the magazine was full. She led it gently into the pistol until it locked.

Stunned, Yuna regarded the gun in her hands. She raised it and took aim over the visor. The girl got up from the table and walked with the gun to the storage, which they used as training ground. She took the cans, which she had yesterday pelted with tennis balls, to form a stack, and put herself at the line, which Yoshiro had set as a distance.

With both hands she clasped the handle and aimed the pistol, this time on the cans. She pulled the trigger, but nothing happened.

"Locked."

Yuna put around the switch and pointed the gun again. Then she pulled the trigger. A loud bang was heard and the pistol was almost ripped out of her hands. Where the bullet flew, she hadn't noticed in surprise.

"So, this is the infamous recoil."

The blue-haired clasped the handle straighter, and spread her legs a little bit more, so she had a better stand. Again she pulled the trigger. The gun popped and a bullet whipped through the hall. A can was hit and the stack clattered on the ground. Yuna had to grin.

She went back to the front and put the cans up, this time individually. Then she turned back to the line. Again she took aim at a can and pulled the trigger. The bullet missed its target.

"Strange."

She tried again, and this time she paid close attention to where the bullet was flying. It passed very close to the left side of the can. She aimed a little more to the right and tried again. The can was thrown away and rolled across the floor.

"Very well."

Yuna shot the other cans down too. These here were cans of two kilogram. Much too large. The girl went for a beverage can of five deciliters and placed it. She stood on the line and took aim. A bang sounded in the hall and the can was thrown foamy and bubbly from the bar. Yuna laughed out.

"That was great. But next time I should take an empty can." Yuna looked at the barrel of the gun. "Whether I also can't be hurt by this?" She wondered if she should shoot herself. "That's crazy." She pulled the magazine from the gun and pulled the trigger. A shot went off and dug itself into the concrete floor of the hall. "Oops." She locked it and tried again to pull the trigger. "Safe."

In the magazine were still bullets, but probably it would be safer if Yoshiro first would give her a proper instruction. Yuna went back into the "living room", sat down at the table and removed the remaining bullets from the magazine. Then she led the magazine back into the gun and put it back on the table.

"I admire your initiative."

The blue-haired whirled around. "I'm sorry, Yoshiro."

"Don't be. I think that's good. Of course, you ignored many safety rules, but you've already learned a few things."

"Maybe, but I'd rather fight with a sword."

He stepped up to the table. "Just because you know how it works."

"Not at all."

"You are in the Kendo Club."

"That's not the same."

"You'll be surprised." Yoshiro sat down at the table. He picked up the gun and turned it in his hands.

"Say ...", the girl began.

Her mentor looked at Yuna.

"Do you know where father's katana is?"

"Why?"

"I couldn't find it, when I was at home."

"Where should it be?"

Yuna pondered. "I think I held it, when I was thrown out of the house by the explosion."

Yoshiro looked at her with widened eyes. "Um ... well ... frankly, I was hoping that you can tell me what happened that night.", he said timidly.

"Why is that?" Surprised, she looked at him.

"I want to understand the process. What happened when. Maybe I can conclude how Tirr was able to find you."

"How well do you know Tirr actually, uncle?"

"Better than I like."

"What does this mean?"

Yoshiro sighed. "We are fighting for decades."

"Why is that?"

"Because he killed my companion."