25 // ...Date.

"How many girls have you gone out with before?"

Taken aback, I watch Damon open his mouth to say something but closes it again. Because what kind of a dumb question is that to ask for ending this date on a 'happy' note.

While I contemplate my decision of talking in the first place, he finally speaks, "Do you mean how many girls I've ever dated in my life?"

No, I mean how many years of science will it take to make a time machine for me to turn back in time and forget this conversation

I bring my hands to the back of my neck, cringing, and let go.

"Shit, no", I attempt to break down my thoughts into a better excuse, "No, I'm so sorry, I must sound like some sort of insane not-even-actually-girlfriend 'girlfriend', right? Ha ha."

He wants to talk but I can't hear it.

Spinning around with scared eyes, I eagerly point at the car rides, "Forget what I said just now. Okay? Thanks. But more importantly, you said I wanted to go on the car rides, yeah? Let's go then! Or it's going to get reallyyyy dark."

There, I hurry to stay away as far as possible from him while walking towards the rollercoasters.

He catches up with my fast pace.
"Jo, it's-"

"Oh!", I turn the other way, away from him, "We can go on those rides, too! Or those! What do you think?"

"No, listen, I think-"

"What? Did you say something?"

"Jo."

"What?", my words come out low as I punch my courage in the stomach.

"Shut up."

I shut up.

Sighing, he holds my shoulders firmly so I don't dash off again and very carefully speaks.
"I think it'd be really great if you could first explain to me what exactly you meant by asking me that question earlier all of a sudden", he tries to smile, but it never happens.

I close my eyes, nod and only open them again when I feel his touch off me.

"You see...", hand motions help phrase words better, "I know, I know, I swear I know that I'm being an annoying piece of, well, crap. But I've been really overthinking everything lately, like, how crazy it is to think that I don't even know you and you don't know me either, and just why you asked me out on this 'date' while knowing the consequences, and just...."

I inhale a needed breath while Damon waits.

"Basically, I'm sorry. I guess I'm a curious person, is what I am. A way too curious person, really."

He shakes his head, waving it off without a care

"That's okay."

"Really?"

"Yes, it's okay", he says again, "It's not surprising of you to ask about my dating life after witnessing a casual case of me getting beat up by a boyfriend of a girl I've hooken' up."