Chapter 35 - My Favorite Reality

I followed him at a slow pace towards the car. I was blushing, smiling, glowing all at the same time while Manik reluctantly walked towards the car rubbing his eyes to get out of the slumber. The poor guy probably had just slept and now he had to escort me to have ice cream. But I was loving it. I had always liked this side of Manik, sweet, caring, overtly possessive but still gave in to my wishes easily. The long lost smile had glued to my lips and gave no signs of wearing away any time soon.

"Why are you smiling like that??", he suddenly turned around and asked me suspiciously.

I smiled more and bit my lower lip to hide the glee in me, "Nothing", I crossed him and occupied the front passengers seat.

Manik gave a confused look and seated himself. He made sure that I had my seat belt on. He saw to it that it didn't stress my tummy much and after tugging it in carefully we drove off.

"So tell me where do we go?? It's your city you know better", Manik heaved a deep sigh and tossed the ball in my court.

"Take left from here, I will take you to a really special place.", I said with a brooding smile.

He smirked at my excitement and followed my instruction. We drove for around the next 20 minutes and I directed him. Manik began getting curious as to where I was taking him and gave me some scary suspicious looks in between.

"Nandu you should be resting around this time and you have to now go on a drive...see no shop is open..I told you ", he darted his eyes back and forth to find at least one open shop which was remotely possible at that hour.

"Manik please na...a little more", I tried to cajole him to continue driving and when we reached the desired place I squealed, "stop...stop...stop..we have reached", I flapped my hands on the steering wheel to halt the car.

We got down. It was a lonely street, at this hour even the busiest streets of the city would be lifeless. The place had a very special place in my life. I had vague memories of the place and it hadn't changed much. There was a park adjacent to the street. Appa used to take me there whenever we came to Ahmedabad during our vacations, the softies there were my favorite. Although Nanu used to get us there, along with my other cousins to play but the place was never the same for me after Appa's death. It reminded me of Appa. How I would clasp his palm and run around like a crazy kid and he would just laugh to see me that excited. The swings and the see-saw's were just the same as it were once. It was years since I had been there.

I don't know what made me take Manik there. May be I wanted to share it with him. Manik looked at me awestruck as he found me drinking the aura around. I glanced at him to find him getting curious about that wide grin on my lips.

"Manik.. Ice cream", I pointed to a street side softy vendor. The stall was closed though and probably the owner was fast asleep on the platform by the road.

"Are you crazy?? You are not having that street side ice cream..I am sure there must be a proper softy joint somewhere around..we will go there.", he rejected my suggestion at once.

"But I want that only", I nagged in a demanding tone.

"No that's not safe Nandini..god knows what all they mix..yuck..I am not letting you have that..besides it's not good for the baby"

"Manik baby wants that..pleaseee", my puppy eyes flickered in plea.

"Why are you being so stubborn Nandu?"

He got more irritated as I nagged further. Manik knew he will give in finally so he didn't waste any further time and reluctantly went towards the stall. I giggled at his helpless struggle to say no to me. I occupied the nearest bench and gazed at Manik. It was a treat to watch him do these stuff. He tried to wake the man up who was happily sleeping. Manik nudged him to get up but he gave no signs of waking up. I could see Manik was mumbling something out of annoyance and I burst out sneering. Helpless he took the charge of making the softy himself. It was love to see him putting efforts to fulfill my wishes. I rested my chin on my palm as he displayed his skills of being a dessert king. He took a cone a big one and showed me the flavors to choose from. I rejected butter scotch and vanilla by nodding my head and settled for a twin dose of chocolate and strawberry. He stuffed the cone with a hefty amount of cream and looked at me in between for approvals and I nodded back. He quickly put the money in the man's pocket and came up to me.