Thirteen

There had been another development in The Triwizard Tournament. The Yule Ball was to take place on Christmas Day. It was open to fourth years and upwards, meaning lots of people were going to be staying over the holidays. It really didn't bother you, it just meant the common toom was going to be a lot more crowded than it usually was. Personally, you always enjoyed staying at Hogwarts, over the Christmas holidays. Everything was decorated magically and it felt so special.

Now, the mystery of the dress robes had been solved. Everyone was discussing dates, decorations and all things Yule Ball related. The Weird Sisters were going to be playing and as a fan, you just couldn't wait. You were actually getting kind of excited, there was just the small issue of getting a date.

***

The Gryffindors attending the ball had an afternoon off from lessons, to practice dancing. You all sat and watched, as McGonagall demostrated how to dance, with Ron, as Filch played some music. You joked along with the twins, as they could hardly control themselves.
"You're never going to let him forget this, are you?" Harry asked, a smirk on his face. "Never." Whispered the twins.

"Everyone, find a partner." McGonagall called. There was a mad rush, as all the students ran to find who they wanted to go with. The girls had crazy gleams in their eyes, as they chose their victims. You stood there, too awkward to ask anyone. Fred had probably already been asked, anyway.

"Y/N/N, do you want to dance with me?" A voice asked. "I'd love to, Freddie." You smiled, blushing. He took your hand in his and gently pulled you to the center of the room. He placed his hands on your waist carefully, almost like he was worried about breaking you. When he did, it was a different kind of magic. You wrapped your arms around his neck and gazed up at him. He looked nervous, but grinned anyway. He began to move and you followed him, your eyes not looking away from his. You got closer tentatively and placed your head on his shoulder. He swayed gently and you copied him. This moment was perfect and you never wanted it to end.

There was an annoyed sounding cough. We broke apart and you saw McGonagall glaring, whilst all the girls squealed; some even looked envious. "There will be enough time for that at the ball, Mr Weasley and Miss L/N. Now is not the time for flirting." McGonagall said, curtly. "Oh, uh. Sorry, Professor." You muttered, feeling embarrassed.

You quickly moved over to Hermione, who was nursing an injured foot. "Neville stood on my foot thirteen times." She whimpered, conjuring some ice. You sat down next to her, slightly tired from dancing. "So, any plans to ask Ron to the ball?" You asked. "No and it seems that he's too stubborn to ask me. Someone else has asked me already and I said yes." She explained. "Who?" You gasped. She leaned in closer, not wanting anyone to overhear. "Krum!" She giggled, quietly. You squealed in excitement, but there was still the nagging thought of finding someone to go to the ball with you.

***

One afternoon, all of the students were in the Great Hall working. The Gryffindors sat at their table, which was overseen by Snape. You had already finished, finding the work very easy, and were now helping the twins, trying not to get caught.

As you were checking George's answers, Fred began scrawling on a pience of parchement and threw it to Ron and Harry, who were complaining about not having dates yet. Ron read it outloud. "Get a move on, or all the good ones will have gone." He looked up at Fred, whilst you tried to keep a straight face and pretended not to hear. "Who are you going with, then?" Ron whisper-shouted in response. You didn't think Fred had asked anyone yet. "Watch this.' Fred smirked. Fred threw some parchemnt at Angelina Johnson, making your heart sink. He did some gestures, making it obvious he wanted to go with her to the ball. When she said yes, Fred winked at Ron and Harry, who were in awe.

Ron then asked Hermione, to be his date. She said no, having already been asked by Krum. Knowing about her feelings for Ron, you understood how much it would've hurt her to decline. You then stood up, feeling crushed, after Fred had asked Angelina in front of you. You handed in your work, which was checked briefly by Snape and you were free to go, having got everything correct.

As you looked back, Fred looked away and Hermione walked over, having just handed her work in. "I think we're both in need of some No Melt Ice Cream." She said. "That sounds so great, right now." You replied, forcing a smile onto your face.

***

You were sitting in the library, which was decorated for Christmas. You were rereading Hogwarts, A History. There was no one else around. Even Madam Pince had disappeared between the bookshelves.

Someone crept up behind you, but you quickly turned around, catching them off guard. "Roger, hi. What are you doing here?" You asked, relaxing. "I'm here to see you. I have something to ask you." He replied, nervously. "Oh, really? What is it?" You asked. "Will you, Y/N L/N, do me the honour of accompanying me to the Yule Ball?" Roger asked, conjuring a bouquet of flowers and handig them to you. "Wow, thank you, Roger. I didn't think amyone was ever going to ask me. I'd love to go with you." You beamed, admiring the beautiful flowers.

***

A/N: I already had half of this chapter written, but it needed quite a lot of work. I hope you like it, I had fun writing it!

Also, I'm really excited for later, I get to go to a Winter Wonderland thingy!