Chapter 3a: Or not (part 1)

CHAPTER 3

Or not (part 1)

As soon as the bell rang, Trina tried to drag Rigel out of the room. For a moment he almost looked like he was going to resist, glancing my way, and I held my breath. But then Bri grabbed me by the arm and started whispering excitedly.

"Tell me everything that happened before I got to class," she breathed, glancing over her shoulder at Rigel and then giggling. "Absolutely everything!"

Rigel's mouth turned up at one corner, like he was amused, then he turned and left with Trina. I restrained a sudden impulse to shake Bri. Instead, I took a deep breath and filled her in.

"And he actually came to sit by you and started a conversation, just like that?"

"I'm not sure it quite rose to the level of conversation, but he came over and said hi, yeah. So, did you find out anything from your dad? I forgot to ask before school, what with the five-minute makeover and all." And because I didn't want to sound too obviously obsessed. Forgetting had nothing to do with it.

She shrugged. "Hardly anything. He was second string quarterback at Center North last year-which is pretty impressive for a freshman, you know."

I nodded. Everything about Rigel was impressive.

"And then, late in the season, he took over as starting quarterback after having one amazing half when the regular quarterback was messing up. It was their game against us, believe it or not! That's one reason Dad was so excited when he moved here--because of that game. We saw him too, though I didn't remember until Dad mentioned it."

All I remembered about last year's season was that the Jewel Jaguars lost every single game. "Was it here, or there? I only went to the home games."

"Here. But maybe you were helping with concessions or something."

"Probably." I'd only gone to the games at all because Bri insisted, so I'd usually worked the concession stand to have something more interesting to do than watch football. Now I regretted that.

"Center North," I muttered. Was that the game where I'd felt almost supercharged, filling orders at record speed, then making that miraculous save when Mrs. Farris dropped the vat of nacho cheese? Maybe.

"So, about lunch," Bri started, then looked up at the clock. "Oh, crap! See you after class!"

We sprinted off in opposite directions and I reached Science just as the bell rang. Will smiled as I hurried to my seat, but I noticed Trina was doing her best to keep Rigel's attention completely on her. Probably just as well. I sure didn't need Will noticing my obsession. He was one of the biggest gossips in school.

Afraid to assume anything, I went straight to the cafeteria after class rather than hang back and wait for Rigel. I'd rather be sitting down before he even got to the lunchroom, so it would be his choice whether to sit with me or not. I couldn't think of anything more humiliating than me trying to go sit by him, only to have everyone-including Rigel-laugh at me. I told myself he wasn't like that, but I still went through the lunch line at top speed, the third person to get my card scanned.

This time I sat with my back to the windows so I'd have fair warning. If he did come to my table, I was determined not to be a basket case again. I was going to be calm, pleasant, maybe even witty. Okay, maybe not witty-that was asking too much-but at least coherent. Still, knowing how nervous I'd be, I took a few big bites of my turkey sandwich, since I probably wouldn't eat anything else once he sat here. If he sat here. I alternated furious chewing with trying to look cool, collected and normal.

That lasted until Rigel entered the lunchroom, about thirty seconds later, with Bri and Deb just behind him-whispering and giggling. Did they have to make it quite so obvious that it was a huge deal a guy like Rigel had gone out of his way to talk to me? To his credit, Rigel pretended not to notice, though he had to hear them.

I was just wondering where Trina was when she came in. She tried to cut in front of Bri and Deb to get next to Rigel in line, but Bri oh-so-casually moved to block her.

Bri's finesse made me grin-she was so much better at that kind of thing than I was-but then she stepped forward to say something to Rigel, and my grin disappeared. I couldn't hear what she said, but both of them glanced over at me and then he replied. My face burned. Was she actually reminding him of his half-promise to sit with us?

Sure enough, a moment later he and my friends headed my way. But now, instead of feeling lucky, I felt more like a charity case. I faked a smile as they reached the table, trying to pretend I didn't know what had just happened. Then I saw Trina hovering indecisively a few yards behind them and my smile became real. What would she do?

"Hi, guys," I said to all three of them, which was easier than speaking to just Rigel.

"Hey," he responded with an easy smile and sat down--right next to me. I was glad I'd scarfed down those few bites of lunch since my stomach was now doing backflips at his nearness. My entire body felt electrified.

As Bri and Deb sat down across from us, Trina apparently made her decision. Stepping close-but not too close-to the table, she said, "Hey, Rigel, I'll have to catch you later. I just remembered I promised to work out the cheerleading practice schedule with Amber and Nicole over lunch." With a smile for Rigel and a glare for the rest of us, she walked off in a poorly-disguised huff.

Amazingly, Rigel didn't even glance after her. Was it possible he hadn't been guilted into sitting here after all?

"So," he said, opening a carton of chocolate milk, "I know your names, but nothing else. Where are you from? What are you into?"

His words included all of us, but he was looking at me. Maybe it was the new eye makeup. For a moment I got lost in his gaze, then remembered that he'd asked a question. Looking down, I fumbled with my napkin for a second or two, hoping Bri or Deb might step into the breach. They didn't. So after an almost-awkward pause, I answered.

"Well, um, I've lived in Jewel most of my life, and Brianna was born here. Debbi moved here about five years ago, right, Deb?"

I sent a pleading glance at my friends, having used up my supply of words for the moment.

"Right." Deb rescued me. "I moved here from Fort Wayne just before fifth grade. I live next door to Bri."

Rigel must have noticed I'd gone nonverbal again. He turned to Bri. "And your dad is Coach Morrison, right?"

She nodded. "He says you transferred here from Center North? Must be pretty different, huh? I mean, that's like a huge school, isn't it?"

I was grateful she'd thrown the ball back in his court, since I was dying to learn a little bit about him.

"Yeah, my freshman class there was twice the size of this whole school. But I think I'm going to like it here. Lots easier to get to know a hundred people than a thousand." His gaze swung back to me.

Deb spoke before I could think of anything to say. "Hey, Bri, remember we were going to go over that, um, thing for chorus during lunch, so it would be ready this afternoon?"

Bri looked confused. "What? What thing?" Then she apparently caught something significant in Deb's expression because she seemed instantly enlightened. "Oh! Oh, yeah, that thing! You're right. Let's go do that. We can sit over there in the corner."

They stood up and grabbed their trays. "Sorry, M," Deb said, though her blue eyes were dancing, not at all apologetic. "We'll talk to you later."

Then they were gone and I was alone. With Rigel.

**If you enjoyed this, please vote for it and share it with your friends!

** Sign up for my newsletter at http://smarturl.it/BrendaNewsletter for a FREE Starstruck short story! The complete ebook of STARSTRUCK is available FREE at all major online retailers! See http://starstruckseries.com for download info! :)