Chapter 29

The next day, I get ready, promising Bianca that I would quit this job.

I walk into the office, with hundreds of eyes looking at me. I stare down at my cardigan and then my skirt. Everything seems fine so why are they staring.

I storm into Sam's office. There's a guy there who looks around to face me.

Sam gets up from his chair, "you may leave. We'll discuss the rest of the deal tomorrow."

I wait until the guy gets up and leaves before I walk over to Sam, grab his hand and slam the contract in his hand.

"There you go. I quit." The words vibrating out of my mouth from the anger in which I said them.

Sam wraps his fingers around the paper and places it on the desk. He doesn't say a word.

"Do what you want Mr Anderson. Take me to court, ruin me but I won't go down without a fight."

I stare at him in hopes he'll respond but he doesn't. He just nods.

I raise my voice as I say, "I hope you're happy, you finally got what you wanted. You won."

He just stares deeply in my eyes and part of me is hurt that he doesn't reply. He doesn't scream and tell me I've lost the contract. Nothing.

"How are you?" He asks.

I cringe. "Much better than you hoped that's for sure."

He frowns. "I didn't mean to send you there. I didn't know the place wasn't safe."

I lift my hand up to stop him but he continues, "I got a call from the site manager saying he was evacuating everyone because the building wasn't safe, something about murder and stuff. I asked if he'd seen you and he said no. After calling your phone several times I got worried so I went to the office."

I lift my eyebrow. "You got worried?"

"Yes!"

"I don't believe you, why would you get worried about me? I'm just an employee in your office."

"Because I lo..." He catches himself.

"Because you what?"

He frowns and looks down. "It doesn't matter." I've never seen him like this before. Usually he's very confident.

"Exactly, it never matters for you."

"That's not true," he protests.

"You left me there to die," I say. Tears begin to stream down my face.

Sam takes a step forward, raising his hand to my face but stops himself in the last second.

"Say what you want, Violet but I wouldn't have let you die."

"Why not?"

"Because I love you, dammit!" He shouts.

My eyes fall wide open. We both hear a few whispers downstairs.

I back away until my body slams against the glass door. A vase falls from the side table by the door. Not again, Vi. Sam smiles subtly.

He leans forward. "watch it, don't hurt yourself."

I grab the handle, twist and just before I leave, I turn and face Sam. "It shouldn't matter if I hurt myself, you'd find pleasure in that."

His eyes plead with me not to leave but I slam the door and walk away.

I get into my car feeling so bad. Did I really just slam the door in his face after he told me he loved me?

Maybe it's a joke, no guy who would love someone would hurt them as much as he hurt me over the past few months.

When I get home, and knock on the door, Bianca stares at me.

"Why are you staring at me like that, B?"

"Well did you do it?"

I drop on the couch, grabbing my head. "Yea, I did."

Bianca smiles as she sits next to me. "I'm glad."

She twists her floral patterned skirt around her fingers.

"What's wrong, B?"

She looks down, straightening her skirt. "I've got to go to Melbourne. Mum's sick."

"Oh god, B." I wrap my arms around her. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"You've not been well." Tears begin to stream down her face. "What kind of friend would I be for ditching you?"

I hug her tight. "You should go. See if she's okay."

"I am, I'm leaving in a few minutes. Waiting for the taxi."

I smile her way, reassuring her that everything will be okay. "I can drive you."

"No it's fine, taxi should be here anyways."

Bianca gets up and that's when I notice her luggage packed in a suitcase by the couch. She hugs me and walks downstairs.

I drop back on to the couch. Sam told me he loved me. Is it true or am I getting played again?