Chapter 34

Mikaela

I stood silently after Dawn finished telling August.

"He tried to kill ya??" He asked as if it made no sense to him. I still couldn't answer

He clenched his jaw as he began striding out of the bathroom.

"Hey hey! Hold on nigga. Don't go murk nobody until she explains," Dawn stood in his way and said.

"What da fuck need ta be explained? He tried ta kill his own daughter," August raised his voice a bit saying.

"Miky," Dawn said basically asking for my assistance.

I looked from her to August.

"After the fire, my dad and I moved into a small apartment in the city. It was all we could afford since we'd lost everything..."

*********************
* flashback *

I walked up the flight of stairs after the bus dropped me off. It was a chilly day in fall and I couldn't wait to get inside.

"Hi Mrs Yolanda," I greeted our neighbor since my dad had arranged for me to stay with her til he got home from the factory at 7 pm.

"Hey Mikaela baby. You're dad actually came home early today," she told me

"Really?" I beamed thinking I'd get to do my homework in my own bed today.

She nodded with a little smile, " mmhmm. I still made you some mac and cheese,"

My smile widened since I loved Kraft Macaroni.

After collecting my bowl of food, I fumbled with the old door know until I pushed my way into our apartment.

It was kinda chilly inside, but I guess dad turned down the heat cause the lights were out out for a few days last month.

"Daddy! I'm home!" I yelled as I pushed the door closed with my back.

I didn't hear a response but could hear the tap running in the bathroom.

I placed my food down, then dropped my book bag. Settling into watching Timon and Pumba on Disney Channel with my bowl of mac and cheese.

Hakuna Matata!
What a wonderful phrase

The tv blared on as I hummed the tune and lay on my tummy eating my food.

I heard the door to the bathroom slam shut and footsteps. The footsteps stopped right behind me as I began speaking to my dad.

"Daddy Mrs Yolanda made me some food," I told him but didn't get a reply.

I turned around to see my father hovering over me without any hint of emotion on his face.

I frowned at him wondering why he was so still. "Daddy?"

As soon as the word got out my mouth he basically pounced towards me, wrapping his hands around my neck.

I lay on the floor not knowing what was happening and why he was doing this.

I tried to call out to him but his grip was too tight.

"You caused all of this," he said over and over as tears began streaming down his face.

I tried to get his fingers off from my throat, as my feet thrashed around the room.

Why is he doing this?? I thought as his tears hit me in the face as he kept blaming me.

I could feel myself going into a state of panic since I couldn't get in any air. I grimaced at him, as I placed one hand on his face hoping he'd let me go.