Forty

The next morning, I walk into the house, not caring to be quiet because Jack isn't at home anyway. I set my washed and dried bathing suit down by the door and proceed into the kitchen. I'm startled when I see a bare and muscular back facing me.

"Should you be at work?" I quietly ask.

I hear him set down a coffee cup and he turns to face me. His eyes are red and he has bags under his eyes. My insides melt at the sight of him.

"I've been waiting for you to come back." He tells me. "Where were you?"

I should just tell him, but I can't tell him about the little cute moments that Sam and I had at the beach.

"I was at Johnson's house." I reply, shrugging my shoulders.

"Oh, so you just didn't bother to come home last night?" He shrugs his shoulder, forcing a little, but I know that he's really mad.

"You should really go to work." I tell him.

I mean, it has only been a week and he's already taken a day off? I guess that might be okay because he is the CEO.

"Why? So I can hear you complain about me never being here?" He asks.

I put my hands up slowly, "I don't want to fight, Jack."

"I don't either, but you didn't come home and do you understand how angry that makes me?" He eyebrows pull together.

"I'm sorry." I apologize. "I was just mad and I didn't want to come home to you. You called me a lazy ass-"

"I know what I said-"

"I'm not done talking!" My voice slightly raises. "You tell me that I don't do nothing and I'm preparing for damn college."

"Don't get loud with me." He says, closing his eyes for a second. "You can do something during your free time other than complain."

"Okay, I'll take that into consideration." Is all I say before heading up to the room.

I didn't want to argue further, so I just stopped it there. Might've not been the best idea, but it's better than shouting at each other like lunatics. When I get into the room, I head straight into the bathroom.

I quickly shower and brush my teeth whilst in the shower. Maybe I should apply for a job. Then while Jack is at work, I'll be at school and then work right after. No one would ever be home.

I just don't know how good that would be for our relationship. For us never being around each other. As I exit the bathroom, Jack's walking in with his mug full of coffee.

I chose a nude turtleneck, nude cardigan and army green joggers to wear. I put on my watch and I hear Jack clear his throat. It makes me look up at him after I clasp the band of my watch.

"Where are you gonna go now?" He asks me.

Geez, he's so curious and nosy.

"Nowhere, I just want to dress nice." I tell him and he nods his head.

"We can't stay mad at each other forever, you know." He tells me.

"I'm aware of that, Jack." I say.

"Then stop being so attitudinal."

I take in a deep breath, "I'm not."

He sets his cup down and holds his arms open and out to me, "come here."

"You need sleep." I tell him and he gives me a 'thank you captain obvious' look.

"I need you."

Something about his words make my insides twist and my heart flutter. Maybe it's the way he said it, or what he said?

"Will you go to sleep?" I ask him. "And then go to work tomorrow?"

"Yes, if I can hold you." He replies, his arms still open.

I let out a sigh and walk towards him. His arms wrap around my waist and he hugs me close to him. Jack affectionately kisses the exposed part of my stomach and hugs me tight once more.

"I love you." He murmurs and I run my fingers through his hair.

"I love you too." I say and he looks up at me.

He suddenly stands, taking me by surprise. His hands hold my cheeks and he presses my lips to his for a brief moment. After we both pull away, Jack's eyes are still locked on my lips.

"Will you go to sleep now?" I ask him and he nods his head.

"Don't cause too much trouble while I'm asleep." He tells me as if I were a child.

I give him a small smile which makes him smile. I'll tell him about me and Sam making amends when he wakes up. I'm not gonna tell him now or else he's never gonna sleep.

{vote, comment, share}