Chapter 17: Unsleir

Maria paced, worried about Lucienne. She'd called several times today, left voicemails and texts, and had heard nothing back. Finding out Jason turned into a bear sized cat had been more than a little overwhelming, and though she couldn't tell Jason's secret, she still wanted to talk to her friend.

The fact that Jason had been totally open and told her everything she wanted to know had helped a lot. He'd even told her there was a way to sever the bond if she didn't want to be his mate, though she'd seen the pain in his eyes at the thought. That had been the clincher and made her realize just how much she'd fallen in love with the man.

She paused, a smile breaking over her face, I'll never forget how happy he was when I told him I'd be his mate and that I'd let him turn me into a shifter, though I need a bit of time to get used to the idea of that one. Her heart fluttered and filled with warmth remembering how he'd hollered with joy and then picked her up and spun her around before remembering her earlier bout of nausea. She giggled at how he'd set her down carefully and started checking her over to make sure she was okay.

I can't tell Luce the whole truth, but I really want to tell her we're getting married and I want her to be my maid of honor. At least I'd like to tell her if I could reach her, she thought, her features tightening with worry again. It's not like her not to answer.

Maria paused in her pacing, suddenly imagining all sorts of terrible scenarios. Wait, Jase said he was good at tracking people... she thought grabbing her phone and calling him.

"Hi Angel, can't wait to see you later," he answered.

She smiled but worry for her friend quickly overtook her. "Jase, I'm worried about Luce. I've been calling her for the last three hours and she hasn't responded. That's totally not like her, and I remembered you saying something about being a tracker..."

"Easy Angel," Jason soothed her to cut off the rambling and shifting gears into a more business like mode. "Have you been by her place?"

"No, not yet. I called you first."

"Good, I'm glad you didn't try to go by yourself. I'll pick you up in ten and you can take me there so we can check."

"Thank you, Jase," Maria said softly, relief that he would help washing through her, though she was still worried.

"Of course, my Angel. I'd do anything for you, and besides, I like her. She seems like a good friend."

"She is," Maria replied. "I'll meet you out front, see you soon, kitty cat."

Jason laughed, "You do realize you'll soon be a kitty cat along with me," he said in a husky tone, making her shiver. She could almost see his satisfied smile through the phone when he finished the call, saying "See you soon, Angel," in a knowing tone of voice.

Maria just shook her head and ran to get some shoes, her purse and then raced downstairs to meet Jason outside.

*********************

Jason walked around Lucienne's apartment, but didn't really need to go more than two steps in the door to receive the shock of his life. Michael Reece's scent was all over the furniture, and he also caught Elijah's scent in the bathroom and bedroom closet. This was confusing because his Alpha showed no particular interest in women since he'd know him.

Holy shit. Has he taken a mate? Or wait, what to vampires call it? Oh yeah, Ruach. Holy shit is Lucienne my Alpha's Ruach?! The thought both freaked him out and made him happy at the same time. If she is, then Maria can tell her everything, and she won't have to move away when her friend ages and she doesn't because if she's turned, she won't age. Shit, she'll also be my Alpha now, and...