Part 2

Lucas

She was beautiful. And I wasn't just thinking that because three months of boot camp away from women had me appreciating any female. It was the way her green eyes were surrounded by dark lashes and her lips were the perfect shade of pink. I wondered if they were soft, or if she even knew how long I'd been checking her out before I got the chance to talk to her. I'd watched her drop her bag down and pull out her phone, unable to look away.

My face felt warm, and my heart sort of skipped a little as she scrolled through something on the bright screen. I wondered if maybe it was a boyfriend she was texting, she was far to pretty to not have one. I was instantly jealous of a complete stranger—one that might not even exist. I wiped my palms along my pants, the anticipation of possibly talking to her causing them to sweat. I had to say something. I knew I'd regret not getting her attention, so I tried hard to think of something—anything, to say. It wasn't an easy task to complete when it felt as if the neurons in my brain had rapidly fired off their transmitters, alarm bells ringing and alerts being issued to every part of my body.

Remember that feeling you would get when something really great was about to happen? Like when your parents woke you up early to go on vacation or to take you to Disneyland instead of school. That's the way I'd felt. I was wired and hazy, my thoughts swimming in my head with desperation. I just had to hear her voice. I had to know if she sounded as sweet as she looked. Thank God that asshole ran over her toes and gave me the opening I needed to get those pretty little eyes pointed right at me. And then I was sitting next to her.

"You shouldn't have given up your seat," she said as we watched an older man sit down in it.

"I have a feeling the company is better over here." I had no idea what had made me say that. My thoughts were flying around in my brain quicker than my heart was beating. I shook my head a little and looked away from her smiling face. I felt my cheeks get warm again. I hadn't fumbled through talking to a girl as badly as I was then since junior high.

"You mean that lady on your other side?" she teased. The woman sitting next to me had seen better days. Some people get off airplanes looking like they'd spent their time on board getting ready for a meeting or a reunion with someone important. Other people look like they tumbled through a wind tunnel and smeared their make-up on their dismount.

"Of course. Martha over there is an excellent companion." I looked quickly at the stranger who was now resting her head against her luggage and nodding off to sleep. "She, um, she's just resting up. We're headed to this big meeting in Florida. Martha is the key speaker. I'm just going to help with the slides, the entire operation rests on her research." I love the way Bailey's lip twitched a little before finally curling up into a smile.

"Is that so? A big meeting?" She pushed her glasses up a little higher in a move that I now call "the cutest move ever." Why did it make me smile like an idiot? Maybe it was the combination of her escaping glasses and sarcasm. Whatever it was, I was really into it.

"Wow," she laughed and I knew I'd continue to make a complete ass of myself to get her to do it again. "Sounds important. Can anyone get into that meeting?" her head tipped slightly in mock curiosity.

"Unfortunately, no. You have to be a member." I was having fun making the little story up, because it was keeping her talking to me. "It's like this big deal. You have to put in an application, and then there's the background check. I'd be happy to explain it over a cup of coffee." My heart thudded against my ribs. I wanted her to agree to that stupid cup of coffee so badly.

"Did you just ask me to coffee?" her brows pulled together and her nose scrunched up.

I looked down at the floor to try and keep it together. When I looked back up at her amused expression I nodded my head. "I did. And if you didn't like the Martha story, I could tell you a different one. Actually, as much as I'm enjoying blabbering like an idiot to you, I'm kind of hoping you might tell me a little more about yourself."

"Hypothetically speaking, if you were a killer or kidnapper, would you enjoy a cup of coffee with your victim before hacking them up and burying their parts in some shallow grave?"

"Hypothetically?" I asked pretending to really consider it. She nodded and tried to hold back a laugh. She was really struggling to keep her smile from growing as wide as mine. "No. I can't imagine I'd want to give them anything that would make the job messier." I winked. She laughed again and I was sure her laughter contained some code that opened up something inside me. My chest expanded and then the air rushed out. She was going to agree to coffee with me, I could see it in her eyes right before she pushed those black frames back up her nose.

"Then sure. Let's get a cup of coffee." 

***Please remember to vote and share!